PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
In another recent thread, someone said that Peterson needed to get things squared away QA-wise with their "regular" lines of pipes before they had any business offering premium/special edition ones with a high price tag.
This pipe cost $255 landed at my door, and was purchased this past December, eleven months ago. It is current production, not new old stock.
It's definitely true that individual specimens vary, but that's true with any product made from natural materials with significant human involvement. Pipes are definitely more like guitars, for example, than iPhones. It simply goes with the territory.
But there's nothing unusual about this example. I have a couple dozen more that are just as nice. I chose this one because it's the most recently made Pete in my rack, in anticipation of someone claiming I was cheating (so to speak) by showing an old example when "things were better" at Peterson.
P1020110.jpg

P1020111.jpg

P1020113.jpg

P1020115.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
That is a beautiful pipe. Would you call the grain "granite" or? Please excuse my ignorance with grain descriptions. No good documents exist regarding descriptors... Or I have not found them.

Jan 8, 2013
Very nice. My spigots are wonderful as well. And then there's this, my most recent Peterson. A Dublin & London 106
1y9gF7c.jpg
[/url][/img]
L93Ig8n.jpg
[/url][/img]

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Aquadoc, George's example shows birdseye on the sides (being a block called a cross-cut - the grain running across).
Generally speaking, birdseye is "end grain". When the grain lines up exactly with the outside edge of the pipe it's "straight grain" and when it's at a slight angle you get what's called flame. I'll dredge up a pic or two. Anthony's pipe shows some flame on the left side of the bowl.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
How any or all of this shows up on any given pipe depends on the quality of the block, the cut of the block, the cut of the pipe and finish skill of the maker.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I think there was a period in the recent past where Peterson's QC might not have been what it should have been but that seems to have been corrected. That said, given the volume of pipes coming out of the Peterson factory, the proportion of unsatisfactory examples didn't seem excessive even at the worst times and I have always found Peterson to be willing to "make good" on any true issue. The expectation that one should get a perfect pipe in the low end range always seemed a bit unreasonable to me and even more so when the pipes they were being compared to are often double or triple the price. When you consider that Petersons actually sell for considerably less than the MSRP, that expectation seems even more absurd. George, that's a wonderful example of a graceful, well crafted pipe and a fine example of Peterson workmanship.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Beautiful pipes guys. Anthony, I really like the way the stem blends with the pipe. I must remember that.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Great looking pipe, georged.
I just bought my first Pete last week, a new 2014 POTY. The early smokes have been quite nice. Good straight grain, nary a fill.
Since purchase, I've been looking at Pete's a bit differently- with less skepticism, but have also decided to buy fewer pipes at a slightly higher price point than I'm used to, rather than a whole bunch of less expensive ones. Over time cash outlay will likely be similar, but I'll have fewer pipes.
For comparisons sake, could I classify a POTY as a 'special edition' but at a price and quality standard similar to some of the 'regular' lines? The price was very similar to the OP.
Edit: next new pipe will be full of birdseye on the sides, as long as I don't get distracted. :lol:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Nice piece in deed, I was considering having this 106 but instead had chosen 606 military mount which has a bit lesser capasity of bowl,as I said before I love Peterson traditional shapes they are pretty elegant yet have that sturdy and robust appearence.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I own this 1998 Deluxe XL90, grain doesn't get much better than this. I bought this one unsmoked, from Mark Irwin, sold to create funding for his upcoming Peterson book.

Status
Not open for further replies.