Peterson Problem? or Is This Acceptable?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumfred

Lurker
Mar 11, 2019
This is my only briar pipe, I have allot of cobs. I used to have a Viking brand briar but it was stolen.

Anyway I was really excited to open my brand new Peterson system pipe. I had read that they have qc issues lately,

I gambled and this is what I got. Maybe I am overreacting but there seems to be two issues with this pipe.
One.. is the condensation trap supposed to be deeper?

There is a mark where they started to do a second drilling but just stopped.
The color looks off too like two different stains were used.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Looks OK to me.

Peterson_cutaway.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
As far as I can see, it all looks good. The moisture trap drilling is great, that’s the standard look and size as we are talking drops of moisture, not spoonfuls. And yes, they do use two different stains, one to bring out the grain, and which is mostly removed aside from where it soaks into the more porous areas, with another color on top. But if you are unsatisfied, you can send it back BEFORE you smoke it, at least with most retailers. But it looks fine, IMO.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
It's difficult to see fine details in the pic but on the face of it, and for that type of pipe, the drilling looks perfectly normal to me.

mumfred

Lurker
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, was jumpy I guess. Just smoked a quarter bowl of balkan supreme, she smokes just fine.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mumfred, that's the problem with internet. You have a perfectly fine pipe, yet you were worried it was a dud. Glad it got straightened out.
Unlike my experience with Web MD and two hotel room surgeries.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, that's what mine looks like on the inside as well, so it does in fact look correct for sure on the drilling.
+1 to mikefu, the color of the stain looks nice and that's how they usually do it for a lot of pipes with nice grain. From what I can tell, the grain is beautiful. It even has a little bird's eye in there for good measure.
That's a nice pipe, glad it smokes well and gives you many more years of good smokes! Happy puffing! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I was the Peterson marketing guy, I'd rush around preparing a paper enclosure to go in the pipe box explaining the unique drilling and how "wonderful" it is. I'm glad to have it explained in this post. Had I happened on a systems pipe, new or estate, I would have been troubled in the same way, and now I feel just a little better educated. I love my dozen or more Petes, but none are system pipes. Despite some quality control complaints, all of my Petes have been and done well.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Where's the glamour shots? What the model number? (I'll guess a #69) P-lip? (and I'm not calling anyone names)
Looks nice to me, that 'sump' in your picture need to be swabbed out every few smokes as that's where the spit collects.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would send it back, the drilling doesn’t look right to me.
What looks "off" to you? How many systems pipes have you had?
Even when drilling is not quite right, as long as it doesn't affect the smoking, it's a waste of time and money to swap it out.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
The drilling is just as it should be. I own a bunch...and the specs drawing provided above shows just the way your pipe was drilled.
I've heard of a few QC issues in more recent years, but I've experienced none personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.