Peterson Pipes Has A New Owner.....

(58 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by unkleyoda
  • Latest reply from tennsmoker
  1. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top story on Smoking Pipes Europe Facebook page.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, this is a complete surprise! What I would love to see is broad production of very early designs (so many awesome shapes in the 1906 catalogs) aimed at an array of price points and not just a return to up market boxed sets aimed at collectors. It would be great if they took a similar approach the the S. Beo pipes, bringing modern airways to old designs.

A bit sad to see the company move out of the hands of an Irish family though, it has to be said.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Saw this and my first instinct was to be sad for Tom and Connor Palmer.

I'm hoping this is in the vein of Laudisi acquiring C&D where they basically helped with channels and connections and let the company continue just doing what they do. If it ain't broke don't fix it. My guess would be that's what Sykes and SP have in mind here, allow the people at Peterson to continue to do what they do and use the resources of SP to broaden the brand.

I'd like to see them return to some of those pipe sets that Peterson used to do more of; The Iceberg collection, the Writer's collection, Around The World collection etc.. One other thing I'd like to see, not so sure how possible it is, is bring the specialty blends back to the US. I think all we've gotten in the past year from them is the Special Reserve 2017 and Saint Patrick's Day 2018. Those one of blends were some of my favorites and they had incredible tin art work. I do realize getting this done is more on the FDA than it is on Peterson.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect what they have in mind is expanding in to arena’s that aren’t at the mercy of the fda before new policies dictate the flow of their business. Well, here’s to hoping big things are in store for ol’ Pete.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

6. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S acquires Peterson Pipe Tobacco of Kapp & Peterson Limited:

Here

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The folks at smokingpipes/Laudisi are top-notch. The folks in Sallynoggin should be absolutely delighted. I think this is excellent news and an excited to see what the future will bring.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I hope that it brings an end to the variable quality issues that have plagued Peterson, such as the poor drilling and sloppy staining, for the past decade or so. Some traditions should not be continued.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Laudisi or Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S ? Or does the former own the latter? Laudisi's web page doesn't seem to have links to Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

During the radio show Shane talked about a new store and close ties to Peterson, I wondered if there wasn't a little more behind that story.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two separate companies. As I understand it, STG owns the rights to make the pipe tobacco and Laudisi now owns Peterson pipes and the two will not cross.

I am glad SPC is taking it over. I worried that when it was time for Tom Palmer to retire, Peterson would have went to someone big who would just treat the pipe business as another unit of their conglomerate. At least this way, it is now owned by pipe smoking folks.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SPC is a great company, that should be good news for Peterson and for SPC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

Laudisi or Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S ? Or does the former own the latter? Laudisi's web page doesn't seem to have links to Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S.

Laudisi has no ties to STG, no. We (Laudisi Enterprises) purchased Kapp & Peterson, the pipe factory in Sallynoggin, and the Peterson of Dublin store on Nassau Street, while STG purchased the Peterson line of tobaccos.

Marketing Manager, Smokingpipes Europe
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sillyoldbear - Was there a reason why Laudisi did not purchase the tobaccos or did you not have a chance?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surprising news. Agree with you bigpond about putting out more of the 1906 shapes and also agree about your sentiments about boxed sets. I've lusted after any number of specific pipes from boxed sets but would never be able to afford the price of an actual boxed set.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only aspect that makes me uncomfortable is that the new ownership of Peterson isn't in Ireland, but the excellent aspect is that it is now owned, or soon will be, by a true pipe group. It is a living horror when outfits are bought by venture capitalists or rich hot shots who have no background or interest in the business except as a profit maker. There's a long history of breakfast cereal executives and insurance or real estate tycoons buying newspapers; usually they can't make them pay, they ruin the newsrooms, and then re-sell the papers back to newspaper people who can sometimes rescue them. So, hail to Laudisi, and long may they keep this grand old dame of the pipe industry chugging along and maintaining its distinct Irish brogue. Laudisi's management of Cornell & Diehl has been exemplary; Jeremy has been a fine steward and artist of the blends. Also the new ownership will likely keep a steady hand on quality control so essential to this outstanding brand. Question: I've been to Dublin, but not to the Peterson store on Nassau Street; is that right off Grafton Street, the big shopping area in Dublin? Or nearby?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost all respect for Peterson pipes when that goofball took over. That's when the dipstaining started. And even after hundreds of complaints he stated they stopped dipstaining. But that was untrue. How about all the poor drilling and blemished briar ? Even in the high end pipes ! IMO this boob disgraced the Peterson name. QC was non-existant. How about unrealistic months of turn-around time on new pipe returns or repairs ? Horrible. I'll stop there.

I'm glad to see a change for the better. Good riddance to a dufus of a man who single handedly destroyed a fine company.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

Sillyoldbear - Was there a reason why Laudisi did not purchase the tobaccos or did you not have a chance?

Our main focus was the pipe business, that's what we were most passionate about, and STG taking the tobacco side just made the most sense for all parties.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. thesillyoldbear

thesillyoldbear

Login to Send PM

Question: I've been to Dublin, but not to the Peterson store on Nassau Street; is that right off Grafton Street, the big shopping area in Dublin? Or nearby?

Yeah, but like barely off of Grafton, right across from Trinity College.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I lost all respect for Peterson pipes when that goofball took over....Good riddance to a dufus of a man who single handedly destroyed a fine company.

Tell us how you really feel...

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for coming in to clarify, thesillyoldbear. I'm definitely curious how this will play out and how much change is going to be involved. Looking forward to an ownership that may care about digging into old catalogs and bringing some things back. Maybe. It will be fun to keep an eye on no matter what.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...thank you 'oldbear. I have fond memories of Trinity College, The Book of Kells in that ancient balconied library and the 150th birthday of Oscar Wilde, etc. I was on a pipe hiatus at the time, so I missed the Peterson store, but will certainly track it down should I get back. (Finding the gate in the wall at Trinity requires some hiking for the wandering tourist!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, it looks like my reading comprehension was on holiday this morning. It's quite clear that it was the tobacco operation that STG acquired.

Can't wait to get back to Dublin and see how the store is changing, though I bet not drastically.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether some tweaking of manufacture and introduction of new shapes/lines occur, would hope that some of the stalwart lines continue such as the Sherlock Holmes and associated Kinsale lines as well as the system pipes, both standard and deluxe. Then, of course, they have a # of spigot lines I'd think ought to continue. In general, would hope they continue the Peterson design aesthetic, the thing that makes Peterson Peterson.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 to irishearl. I couldn't agree more.

The Peterson aesthetic, especially the system standard bent shapes are what got me into pipe smoking in the first place.

I also agree wholehartedly that the fact that the company was bought by a pipe organization rather than an investor outside will hopefully mean the continuation of traditional pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations to Kevin are in order for having a Forums sponsor who has now also attained a major pipe maker in their business. This elevates this already auspicious site up another rung, not to mention its estimable members.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread is also my cue to say ... I bought most of my Peterson pipes six or eight years ago, one P-lip and the rest fishtail, at lower and mid-price levels. They have all smoked well right out of the sock, and I have never had any quality control issues. To me, as for many, the Peterson designs, sturdy and plucky looking, are just about irresistible. Under this new ownership, I would expect the Peterson/pipe smoker love fest to continue. I am absolutely happy with each and every one of mine. End commercial break.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh Yes, it was about time to switch the ownership, referring to Mr Sablebrush and Kola's statement above.In my Opinion You couldn't ask for the better Company than Laudasi Inc to take over.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mso, now that there is no longer a forum specific to Peterson pipe fans, all the more reason for us Pete fans to congregate here and spew our love for their designs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am optimistic about this. I really respect Laudisi. I think they will manage Peterson very well.

I have a LOT of Petes. Never had one, new or old, that smoked badly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"At least this way, it is now owned by pipe smoking folks. " -- Not a P fan, but not a hater either, by ANY means. Totally agree, Michael; this has marks of being a Good Thing.

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are the Peterson pipes now solely made in Ireland or do they just finish the pipes there?

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As an owner of several Peterson pipes I can't wait to purchase another. As someone before me stated "I have never had one that smoked badly". I welcome the change.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pappymac, it is my understanding the whole process is done in Ireland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Based on some of the new lines this year, I suspect Laudisi was already starting to steer the ship.

Mark Irwin blogged about it today as well:
    https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2018/07/20/99-peterson-acquired-by-laudisi-enterprises/

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope this means a higher quality product.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think Peterson pipes has landed in good hands.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It will be exciting to see pipes made in South Carolina.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am optimistic about this. I really respect Laudisi. I think they will manage Peterson very well.
    Nice to see it land in the hands of "Pipe People" who have a passion for the product!...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Judging from Sykes' blog post, maybe resurrecting some pipes from the 1906 catalogue is in the offing, given 1 trend he expects to see is more focus on "Peterson traditionalism."

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

goose61

Login to Send PM

When can we expect the first of the new production Peterson's to hit the stores?

Always liked the various shapes and lines offered, but the stories regarding the various quality control issues caused me to look elsewhere.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When can we expect the first of the new production Peterson's to hit the stores?

I don't know the answer to that, but I do know that the factory is closed for 3 weeks, starting today.

As a huge fan of Peterson pipes, I couldn't be more pleased with this news.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the record, I love Peterson pipes. The older ones, pre-Palmer.

I dislike the P-lip and only get fishtails,but I love the shaped/designs, the thick beefy shanks and I'm especially fond of the Spigot series.

All my smokes are in the older Petes with exception to one, a JM Boswell swirl pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Kola, I agree about shaping, although if all they ever made were traditional del luxe systems, I’d be a happy boy.

It’s my understanding Peterson has fraized bowls imported from Spain and finished in house. One could buy these pipes from Spanish pipe shops for about $35 last time I checked (a few years ago). I have no idea if this is still the case and if so, what percentage of production is entirely in house. One could always ask, but I don’t think it matters too much who runs the fraizing machines so long as the wood is good and the machines are accurate. Sorting the bowls and finishing the pipes is far more important to the smoking.

There’s much anti-Palmer sentiment in this thread that I don’t understand. Peterson was at their lowest point when Palmer purchased the company. He turned things around financially, kept the company afloat and productive when most of the others disappeared and improved the quality of construction....well. in the last few years, at least. However, standards were in the crapper in the 70’s with Pete at the bottom of the triangle and stanwell and sav at the top. Pete and sav have flip flopped imho, but that’s off topic.

I’m glad the stg will continue to handle tobacco production. C&D produced PPP would have been a nightmare!

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

About half of my Petes were bought new and all during the Palmer era. Have no issues with any of them Gotta give the guy a lot of credit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im pretty excited about this, Plamer did a good job keeping the company going and turning it around, and Laudisi picking up the pipe brand is fantastic and Im certain we're going to continue to see more positive things happen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd love to see restoration of some of the grand old designs made before I ever knew the brand, but available with fishtail bits as an option when possible. It is such a distinctive brand in terms of design.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The earliest Petersons actually didn't have a P lip. The P lip came about a bit later.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree. I see Laudisi as being handed the torch to continue the good and make things even better. I think Palmer did tremendous things for the company overall, but no one is perfect. I'd rather have a strong company that had a few glitches like dip-staining then have them go the way of the dodo and be gone altogether.

I am SUPER excited about the notion of doing more traditional petes. That is so awesome.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is probably the best possible result for Peterson. I'm happy to see that they remain under the control of a company that is focused on pipes and pipe tobacco. I look forward to following the brand's direction in the new Laudisi era...

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would love to add a Peterson, love the looks of so many of them. But I agree with Kola and Sablebrush, and will wait it out. I've tried 3 times to buy one and 3 of 3 times returned each one for QC issues. Laudisi is probably an excellent indication for what's coming.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya know....if you’re buying a pipe online, you have a lot of choice. If you are buying from a vendor that won’t inspect a pipe for you you’re giving your money to the wrong shop. If, on the other hand, you choose not to ask for an inspection, maintain that dignified quietude on the forums, (ie dont bitch that you got a bum pipe). Once bitten twice something something....

It would be quite helpful if folks with poorly made pipes would post a photo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It would be quite helpful if folks with poorly made pipes would post a photo.

Absolutely!!!!

I've tried 3 times to buy one and 3 of 3 times returned each one for QC issues.

I find it quite disconcerting that someone had a 100% failure rate with a particular brand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be looking into Peterson pipes now that passionate people own it. I cannot wait.

Jason
    Posted 1 year ago #
  56. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sillyoldbear, this is huge news. And, I hope, good news, too.

For reasons aesthetic and cultural, Peterson has a unique place in the heart of this half-breed Irish bastard -- and a prominent presence in his pipe racks. I wish you all great success with this most honorable and storied name.

Ádh mór ort.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

58. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the move by Laudisi to take over the Peterson pipe brand is just an absolutely great achievement on the part of Sykes and company. Peterson is already a premier brand flush with history and tradition. This marriage has the earmarks of greatness.

I own several Petes, from the old days and under the Palmer reign. No complaints here. All smoke in that wonderful Pete way in my opinion

Bravo Sykes! Laudisi and Peterson.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   loadclear, chasingembers, ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, monkeylyf, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy