PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I have owned two Petersons for several years now, a Smooth Tankard and a Bulldog Flame Grain. I've tried and tried to like the pipes, but the odd lip on these pipes just doesn't cut it for me. I find them uncomfortable to hold in my mouth, and worse yet the location of the air hole draws the smoke directly up onto the roof of my mouth, causing some irritation there.
I would be curious to read about some other members thoughts about Petersons, and if you've had better luck than I have with them.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Peterson pipes are my favorite. It sounds like you have a problem with the P-lip system, you can get most Petersons without it.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Yea, I think that it's the P-Lip. I'm thinking about selling these two. Is it possible to buy replacement stems that have the 'normal' lip?

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
No doubt that the P-Lip is one of those hate it or love it deals.

Certain to be those that don't care either way but I'd imagine they're a small minority.
I don't mind the P-Lip now that I've gotten used to it.

Very odd to use when I got my first one with a System Standard 309.

I've now got 5 Petes, 2 system Standards,the 309 and a 317, and 3 of the older stick-bit style stems, a Calabash, Tankard and Barrel. The Barrel is the only one with a fishtail bit.
I'm one of those that doesn't care either way. Love em' all!

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
I liked the P-lip at first but then I noticed the same problem that choch mentions. They do irritate the roof of my mouth so that I would prefer to avoid them. I still use them and enjoy the pipe but . . . :(

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
if you have trouble with where the smoke goes, try keeping it closer to the front of the mouth. As for the flame grain replacement stem, good luck, I think the amber stems on them are integral to the aesthetics.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Make contact with Angela at Petersons and I am sure she will be able to assist you with some Fishtail Stems.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Upside down on a bent can be problematic, lol. I like the P-lips, but Peterson should be able to help with buying replacement fishtail stems.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I love my p-lip stems. It irritates my gums a lot less than the fishtails plus they're a lot easier to clench and blends tend to taste better with the p-lip for me. A little trickier to clean sometimes, but the enjoyment of the smoke more than makes up for it. Peterson does make pipes with fishtail stems and I'd venture to say if you contacted someone at Peterson they'd trade the p-lip out for a fishtail.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
i have tried a handful of Petes, p-lip and non. I despise the p-lip. perhaps if the roof of my mouth were covered in taste buds it would add something for me. i have kept my Kapet bulldog (fishtail) because i love the size and feel of it, but like Paul's billiard it is one of the only pipes i own that will whistle if i draw through it empty and it so so on the smoking enjoyment.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have four petes and I like them all. With that said, I don't subscribe that petes are the best pipes and enjoy some of my other pipes considerably more then my petes. However, I do think that petes probably give you a wonderful smoke for the money! Try altering your p-lips into fish tales as mentioned and then your petes will smoke very similar to other pipes.

bernd

Lurker
Aug 17, 2011
Hi

I love the pipes of peterson. But not all pipes have the p-lip.

An other pipemanufactur that uses the p-lip is vauen (germany) at their luxus-series.
greetings bernd

Status
Not open for further replies.