PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Gang,
Long time no post but I have a question for you all?
Has Peterson done something to their pipes lately that causes them to break in easier? I know they do not appear to have that pre-carb they used to use, just stain now. I have picked up ten Peterson's (been trading off a lot) since Jan and they have, without a doubt, been the easiest, best tasting Peterson's I have had to date.
I've gone thru several different phases of Peterson's in my years of smoking and I remember them taking awhile to break in. With the pre-carb, I would try to smoke the pipe with it but would end up sanding the stuff out.
Could the pre-carb cause that much of a taste difference?
Mike

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Mike
I picked up a new production Aran in April from P&C and it WAS pre-carbed :crazy: . Can't speak for Peterson's other lines, but the Arans that are coming in with the large "Peterson" in script ( no "of Dublin" ) and "ARAN" ( in all caps ) and sporting the velvety baggie are pre-carbed. On the same note, I picked up another Pete Aran a couple months earlier that was NIB and the seller stated "it was a few years old" and it had smaller script, "of Dublin" in the nomenclature, a stained bowl and the nylon baggie.
They smoke the same, but the one that had the stained bowl seems to goop up easier than the other, so I only feed it flakes ( fold-and-stuff, I don't rub my flakes ). The pre-carbed is an excellent English pipe.
The other 3 Petes I have were previously enjoyed .....

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I just bought my first briar pipe, a Peterson 314 Smooth and it tasted great from the first smoke. I enjoy it much more than my corn cobs. The quality does not seem that fantastic though, there is a bit of glue around the nickel mount and a small crack inside the shank. Does not really bother me though and I am very happy with it.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
I only started buying Petes this last year. I LOVE them! However, since all of the ones I have are new, I can't say if there is a difference between the pre-carbed and the un-carbed. Just know that they are the best smokes I've ever had. :puffy:

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Just received a new Aran 999 for anniversary. Smoked great from first bowl on....

Status
Not open for further replies.