PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2017
Good day gents,
I was hoping if any of you would know something about this "Peterson" pipe I got from a friend. it may be missing a band based on what I've researched on the internet. and the markings dont seem to reflect any that have already been recorded.
it also came with a P-lip bit. (I can post additional photos if needed)
21686196_10207920555651299_4478238084079377169_n.jpg

21762148_10207920555691300_1451478160932112606_n.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization and pictures. Deleted unnecessary posts.

Jan 8, 2013
Looks to be one of the old Peterson Dublin & Londons. Made in the 60s I think. The original Dublin & London's didn't have a band. That's something they added on the new version. It has the old Peterson stamp with the two tailed P. At the time, there was also a factory in London and this line was made in celebration of that. I'm not completely sure if there's a way to tell if the pipe was made in which factory. They were made in both. Quite nice.

Jan 30, 2017
Looks to be one of the old Peterson Dublin & Londons. Made in the 60s I think. The original Dublin & London's didn't have a band. That's something they added on the new version. It has the old Peterson stamp with the two tailed P. At the time, there was also a factory in London and this line was made in celebration of that. I'm not completely sure if there's a way to tell if the pipe was made in which factory. They were made in both. Quite nice.
thanks for the insight anthonyrosenthal!
and I see, though I saw on Pipedia that this type of forked P would generally have a silver band. Is it possible for silver bands to "fall off"? I never owned a Peterson before so I dont know how easily a band can be removed.

K

klause

If I recall correctly - 'Dublin & London' means it was made in the Dublin factory, while 'London & Dublin' means it was made in the London factory.
Itdoes not look as though there was a silver band - theres usually a bit of band-shaped discolouration where the band would have been when they come loose.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
As stated above from the original Dublin & London series and yes the Dublin or London first denoted where the pipe was made (as stated by Klause).

These pipes did not have a silver band. I believe the range was discontinued in the 1990s by which time the London factory had long been closed
some reading re new and old dublin & London pipes

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/tag/peterson-dublin-london/

Jan 8, 2013
After doing some further research I found that your pipe was likely made not in the 1960s but in the 1970s. I'd love to see photos of the pipe with stem attached. Klause is correct about the London & Dublin stamp being a pipe made in the London factory, which was closed down in the 1960s apparently. You can read more about the stamping of your pipe here.... https://pipedia.org/wiki/A_Peterson_Dating_Guide;_A_Rule_of_Thumb#Stamping_of_Bowls
I'm especially interested in this thread as my latest pipe happens to be one of the new Dublin & London, I've only smoked a few times within the last week and it's a beautiful, well smoking pipe.
jF6Ygh2.jpg
[/url][/img]

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
You have the real thing. The older Dublin & London line didn't have bands. Here's my 155 (sorry for the over-processing -- was playing around with some HDR stuff at the time)...
t5LQ55V.jpg

It has forked "P" shank stamping and script "P" stem logo. As I understand it, the forked "P" can only be used as a dating indicator when it's used as a stem logo. It has been used as part of the shank stamping on various lines over the years. According to this older thread, the Dublin and Londons were made until at least 1997: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/petersons

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have two Dublin & London. A 264 XL Canadian and a XL 02 apple bent, - no silver,naturel finish.

Both bought in the Peterson shop in Dublin in 1995 and 1996

Jan 30, 2017
Thank you everyone for the information!
Pipes are quite difficult to come by nowadays in the Philippines and there aren't that many people who would have in depth knowledge about them.
Thanks for teaching me something new!

:D :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.