Estate Peterson Pipe - Captain Peterson???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Attention Peterson pipe collectors, I'm trying to find out more about an estate pipe I recently received in a swap. It's a straight bulldog and is marked "CAPTAIN PETERSON" on one side of the shank and "A PETERSON PRODUCT" over MADE IN ENGLAND on the other side. The original stem is marked with a C inside a circle. Can anyone tell me about this pipe? Vintage? Collectible?
IMG_0463_zps975667b5.jpg

IMG_0464_zps23ccce29.jpg

IMG_0465_zpsd0e8d825.jpg

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
"Captain Pete was a brand of Peterson's English branch (1899-1960). Dublin continued to produce Captain Petes a couple of years after 1960."

"Captain Peterson was a brand of Peterson's English branch"

The C indicates it was made prior to 1960.
Shutterbug

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Thank you Teddy and shutterbug!
So as a brand of Peterson's English branch, is it collectible? Considered a sub-brand or "second"? Should I just smoke it and enjoy it? :)

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
It is considered a sub-brand and although it has fills I wouldn't consider the pipe a second. Collectible?? NO.

Smoke it and enjoy it.

webbb01

Lurker
Oct 24, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Thanks docwatson! For a pipe that's probably as old as me (born in 1960) I will do just that, smoke it and enjoy it.
Except for one fill on the right side, it is a nice looking briar and I like the color and straight bulldog shape. Also, it smokes great!
It was swapped to me as "collectible", so no worries that it isn't, I still like it!

Status
Not open for further replies.