PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethierl

Lurker
Aug 19, 2012
Just finished my first 3/4 bowl in my new Peterson: Kenmare (B10) Fishtail. On another site I asked about pipe break in.  

Great advise! The first bowl was outstanding. Great pipe with a great tobacco. Now do I dare try other tobaccos in this pipe.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
i say go for it. i dont have any dedicated pipe for any tobacco. i just fill and smoke. others may not agree tho but this is just one mans opinion. what tobacco did you use for the first time?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Try not to cross lines, in other words, do not smoke an aromatic then a VA or an English followed by an aromatic, etc. The main issue is ghosting. If you smoked a heavy aromatic and followed that with a VA, then you will not be able to taste the VA very well. Same with a heavy English followed by a VA, etc.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
+1 with Mr. English. My Petersons deliver some sublime smokes, but I use aromatics for some, Balkans for others, and Have one dedicated to Virginia. Mixing tobaccos can lead to a muddied pipe, then you may have to treat it to get the muddiness or ghosts out. Mellow Mack, Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Highland Blackwatch are fantastic in my Peterson 264.

ethierl

Lurker
Aug 19, 2012
Hawk,

I only smoke non-aromatics and the blend I chose is one from a small smoke shop from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. So I'll be good to the bowl-aromatics only.

I wish it was a more well known brand because I am a slave to it and it is located over 200 miles from the home, and they don't have an e-mail site. Welcome to Wyoming. I would take advice for a nice aromatic,smooth tobacco, that is not only smooth to the taste, but also plesant to the sniffer.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm not much for dedicating but I do have an unsmoked Luciano Lovat that I'm thinking I might reserve for VA's. For the most part I've never noticed that much ill effect on my pipes with the various blends I smoke. Maybe my tastes just aren't sophisticated enough.
As for the Peterson, I have a B10 Kildare that has been a great smoker for many years. One of my favorite shapes.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have dedicated pipes for aero's but aren't concerned about mixing tobacco in others. After a smoke or two I'll wipe out the bowl and run a couple of pipe cleaners and put it up. Now, if I was smoking bowl after bowl of the same tobacco most of the time I would delicate a couple of pipes as 'daily smokers'.

Status
Not open for further replies.