PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Hello again. My last post successfully answered my question regarding tobaccos and pipes together, this post is just about pipes... Ive decided that I really want a Peterson. Im looking for a hands free clincher pipe, no more then 1.4 oz, with a nice bend to it. The Petersons look very nice to me and ive narrowed it down to a few basic types.
theres this one, looks like a nice sized bowl for such a lightweight pipe.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=185711
similar, but with silver and even lighter

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=173318
then theres the Systems. this one

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=187674
system with P Lip, never used before. feel weird about it, not for any good reason thou

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=187626
Yup. so its alot of very similar pipes, smooth, full bent, yet the small differences are what can make some either love it or hate it. the non systems are lighter by .4 oz, however they dont have any filtering. I can be somewhat a wet smoker. Also I will be using this pipe at the computer working, and possibly while on the road while driving. Which pipe do you like and for what reason?
p.s. this was originally going to be a pipe only used for blends containing perique, but I have a feeling that I might find it so comfortable hanging from the mouth that itll be used for many other tobaccos. I tend to draw smoke continuously.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
1 more im also considering, the Deluxe

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=168953

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm not a p-lip fan.
If you are entering the deluxe price range, why not consider a Sherlock Holmes series?
Here is the Rathbone

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Standard system is not quality; army mounts should be decent; deluxe system is good. System 317 is VERY small, 15 minute smoke max. All Peterson pipes smoke well without filter, most of them can collect moisture. P-Lip offers a comfortable smoke, but not as comfortable to clench as fishtail bits.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yes, I used to hate the P-lip, but now favor it.
Personally, I really like the 160 Army Mount, I love that tapered stem.
002-029-24506.jpg

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have limited experience with Petes. I owned a Sherlock Holmes series which never did taste good. It was before I knew anything about dip staining and how it includes the draft hole.
I was at a local shop when the rep brought in the Explorer series. I looked at all four. They were mostly mis-drilled and had real fit and finish flaws for pipes that were fairly pricey. I do like the looks of a lot of Petes but I would have to see it live before I bought one. A lot of fans of Peterson can be found here for sure.
Mike S.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
This pipe, on the right, is a Sherlock Holmes Baskerville or the other one which looks almost like it. It can just hang off my lower teeth and doesn't have to be clenched tightly. It is very good smoker.
DSC_0427_zpse18c2bb1.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I definitely recommend you wipe out that stain with a paper-towel and alcohol, it comes out quite easily. And, as Mike Stanley commented, clean the draft hole as well.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Peterson has often been referred to as the "Dr.Grabow" of Europe. It is a love/hate relationship, to be sure. I have a dozen Pete's, spanning all the price points. I enjoy smoking all of them, p-lips included. Straights are more likely to pass a pipe cleaner, the bents never will without taking the stem off. If you live in a moist climate, the system pipes will collect a lot of juice, and you will want to clean and dry the collection chamber after every smoke. My experience is that the higher priced ones have a better fit and finish, but I have seen crooked and off center stamping on silver bands.

My entry level Kildare X105 is great with VaPers. It was a natural pipe without any stain in the bowl.

I use a St.Patrick's Day 150 and a Grafton 999 for Virginias.

The 315 System pipe is my Frog Morton Cellar and Pembroke pipe.

I have an estate Emerald 264 which is stellar with aromatics.

The 53 Silver Spigot wasn't good with English blends, but took to red Virginia blends right away.

Both the St. Patrick's Day and the Silver Spigot, plus my Mark Twain set, were refurbished from SPC, btw. Saved a few dollars going the estate route, and have never been disappointed.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
You said "HANDS FREE" so the 160 would be your best bet. I have a 160 fishtail smoked very hot for awhile but once I had a carbon layer it was fine. There is always a Peterson system 317 that is the same size as the 160.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have never really liked the P-lip, especially in a bent pipe. I do like that Army mount in the fishtail. I have one in the 999 and love it. The pipes color actually improved with smoking by accentuating the grain.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I'm a Peterson fan, and enjoy the deluxe systems (with large bowls) so that's where my preference is leading me. However, pipes are a very personal choice, so I can't make a hard recommendation to you, only anecdotal suggestions from my personal taste and experience.
P-lips can be a love or hate relationship; my first Peterson (first pipe briar, actually) was a P-lip, so I've never had a chance to dislike them. They're fine to me, and I have no preference regarding P-lip vs fishtail.
As several others have mentioned, Sherlock Holmes pipes are nice (I'm a fan of the Baskerville) but can be rather weighty if clenched, something you mentioned specifically as an issue... but once again, it all comes down to personal taste, and my massive jaw has never noticed a problem.
This may be one of those times that you just jump into the deep end and hope the sting is minimal.

costa226

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
many different opinions, as expected. good info. RIght now im completely burned out from looking at pipes, time to take a break. my biggest problem is trying to find the PURRRfect pipe.. which doesnt exist. I have a habbit of judging purely on technical details.. i have to keep in mind not to get too carried away.

thanks for the help!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have 4 Petersons in my small array of pipes. I like each one of them.

I'd recommend you get a p-lip.

Simply for the reason that it is a unique feature and you should have one in your collection!

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I have many Pete's and the only one in the bunch that's not a good smoker is a System pipe.
I honestly think the System is a bit of a gimmick, and actually seems to create the trouble it's designed to solve. Pace your smoking properly and the problem doesn't arrive.
I smoke Petes because I have a cultural affinity for an Irish pipe, I love classic shapes, and I think you can't do much better on a cost-for-quality basis.
Plip isn't as much of an issue for me, but I don't recommend it for pipe you think you'll want to clench.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All three of my Petes are very good smokers. The last one I bought had a fill pop out after a couple of months. Peterson's was willing to refund, but I chose to keep it. Another that I bought online had four or so small fills that detract from the overall looks, but it's a fine smoking pipe. Both the latter two were just over $100, and I was told you can't expect no fills until you climb the price ladder. A fourth one I sent back unsmoked as the shank was poorly drilled, (and the weighting was poor.) No more online Petes for me, but estates or handling anew, fine.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
costa226, have you owned or tried P-Lips before? I have only one, and enjoy it, but wouldn't buy another. It's a lot of bit in your mouth and to no particular advantage from my point of view. Some love 'em, some hate. I sure wouldn't go high-end and get your first P-Lip; you might not like it. Any of these pipes should be good, if Pete's quality control comes through. You might want to phone the retailer and have them inspect the pipe, either while you wait, or have them call you back -- run a pipe cleaner through it, and give you any other points on bowl coating, drilling, whatever they can see. Some of my favorite Petes are an Around the World shape 80 bulldog and my two B11 bent brandy shapes, both relatively low-end compared to your prospective pipes. But mine were well produced and I have no complaints. But consider going for a fishtail unless you know you like P-Lips well. I just like the control of a fishtail.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
costa226, have you owned or tried P-Lips before? I have only one, and enjoy it, but wouldn't buy another. It's a lot of bit in your mouth and to no particular advantage from my point of view. Some love 'em, some hate. I sure wouldn't go high-end and get your first P-Lip; you might not like it. Any of these pipes should be good, if Pete's quality control comes through. You might want to phone the retailer and have them inspect the pipe, either while you wait, or have them call you back -- run a pipe cleaner through it, and give you any other points on bowl coating, drilling, whatever they can see. Some of my favorite Petes are an Around the World shape 80 bulldog and my two B11 bent brandy shapes, both relatively low-end compared to your prospective pipes. But mine were well produced and I have no complaints. But consider going for a fishtail unless you know you like P-Lips well. I just like the control of a fishtail.

Status
Not open for further replies.