Peterson Killarney how does the finish hold up over time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
For those of you who own a fairly recent model, how does the finish hold up over several years of use? I like the shiny red finish - just wondering how good it looks two or three years later.
Thanks.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have heard that any of the Peterson finishes that are "sprayed", like the reds and greens, etc. can blister or bubble on the rim. I have never owned one of those so I cant say for sure.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have 2 Killarney Reds and 1 Irish Sea. They are beautiful to look at, not my favorite to smoke ~ figure prints.
The finish has held up after cleaning. Watch out, check to make sure you get one without stain inside the bowl. That's how I got my second one, the guy didn't know how to remove the interior stain. Ever clear and cotton balls took care of it. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two Killarney's, a bent Rhodesian 999 P-lip with a reddish stain, and a bent brandy B11 ebony. I think they are

about two and three years old respectively. Both have some "miles on them," in bowls smoked, and both look almost

new. They've broken in nicely, and though I think I finally enjoy a fishtail bit more than the P-lip, I enjoy having the one.

Absolutely no problems with any of my six Petersons -- drilling, finish, break-in, wear, etc. Just fine all the way. The

rusticated author took a while to break in fully, but it has always been a good smoke in a good big bowl. No fingerprint

problems. They polish up nicely after every smoke. I expected some kind of noticeable wear with the ebony pipe, but

I can't see any, very sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.