PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I've posted this review up on Luxury Tobacco Reviews. I'm posting here as well, and the link to the review can be found here as well. I use my forum name for it there as well.
The review is below:
Peterson Irish Whiskey
For all intensive purposes, this is the little brother of Peterson Irish Flake. Its milder in both strength and flavor. It is also a tad "sweeter" but I believe that is due to the very lite Whiskey flavor it has. This is also similar to MacBaren ODF, pretty much for the same reasons.
I should also mention that I primarily smoked this out of my Peterson Dongel “Rocky Finish” 999. It’s a wonderful smoker and I've had it for a year now. I basically used the Irish Whiskey to break this pipe in. And for breaking it in, it has done a wonderful job. When I revisit this blend it will be smoked in this pipe. I also smoked this blend in a SMS Meerschaum Straight Billiard, as it gave me a slightly different experience smoking the blend. But ultimately I prefer this blend in a briar pipe.
In the tin, it smells sweet and very tobacco all at the same time. But I find it hard to judge a tobacco simply by the way it smells. So I’m going to go right into the smoking part.
As a smoke it starts out kind of lite,but the flavor of the tobacco increases as you work your way through the bowl. The aforementioned Whiskey flavor can best be perceived by small sips of smoke and slow exhales through the mouth. You can also pick up on it by exhaling through the nose. The Whiskey flavor never really leaves, but becomes fainter throughout the course of the bowl. For me this was one of those pipe tobaccos that I could smoke all the way to the heel. I would smoke it down to dottel and ash, that is how much I enjoyed it.
I should note that this is for me a touchy smoke. It would never quite bite, for lack of a better term. But it would seem to leave a spot on the tongue, regardless of how smoked. This spot however would fade once the pipe was set down for a while or after completion of the bowl. It can also turn bitter if smoked too fast and the potential for bite is very high when pushed.
As far at the room note is concerned, I’m only able to perceive it briefly. I’m not able to smoke indoors in my current abode. But on occasion, some smoke would follow me into the house. It smells a bit on the sweet side, but not cloying, and is obviously a quality tobacco smoke.
Overall a good smoke, but its bigger brothers offer more. I would smoke this blend again in the future. But for now I shall savor it’s memory.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I had a good experience with Peterson Irish Whiskey. I found it improved markedly after being open

a few days, and after that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nuanced but flavorful.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
mso489:
I had a good experience with Peterson Irish Whiskey. I found it improved markedly after being open a few days, and after that, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's nuanced but flavorful.
Now that you mention that, your right. It took me about a whole year to work through the 50gram tin. I wish I had mentioned that. I'm going to buy it again in the future.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I just tried for the first time today actually. It did smoke nice but I have to agree it isn't a tin I'm going to burn through in a week. I also wouldn't drink Whiskey for breakfast lunch and dinner so I guess that makes sense. I smoked it in a Bjarne Bent Brandy pipe with a rather large bowl. I had no problem nursing it down to tamped powder of ash. I would recommend this blend to anyone, and somehow I envision this to be a perfect holiday season blend. After a turkey dinner or with some Egg nog. May sound random, just a thought. Oh and thanks for the review!

-Brian

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I've smoked a few bowls of this now, and the whiskey flavor really comes through, especially noticed it after smoking some de luxe navy rolls then following it with this. I like to smoke it moist; Great smoke will be getting more!

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I want to try this tobacco myself, i spoke about Irish Whiskey yesterday in the Irish Oak Thread. Is Irish Whiskey considerd aromatic?
Mike.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
Peterson don't list it as an aromatic. Instead they refer to it as a traditional blend. My view is that it is somewhere in between.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Love the stuff. Most Va/Kentucky blends are too stout for me to smoke more then rarely, but Irish Whiskey is easy on my palate and delicious. It's one of the blends that I cellar.

vlodko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2013
Ukraine
Thanks for the review. It's one of my regular blends and I wouldn't tell of it better than you. :)

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder how this blend would age,does anyone here know? Or should it all be smoked unpon opening a tin.
Thanks.

Mike.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I just threw almost a full tin of this into the Canadian Box Pass lol. I tried to like it but I just couldn't even after letting it 'air out' age for a month. It was a nice smoke, but I just didn't really like it personally

riskybusiness

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
London, UK
Thanks for the review. I am a fan of the Peterson blends in general, and I'm looking forward to trying this one now. My current favorite is the Peterson Irish Oak; it has a pleasant hit of Cavendish.
By the way I don't think you intended the review to be funny, but I did get a chuckle out of a few things:
1. "For all intensive purposes" -- linguistically this is called an Eggcorn. It is an unintentional pun when someone uses a phrase that sounds similar to the correct one, but the meaning changes slightly. I think you meant, "For all intents and purposes." The name Eggcorn came from someone who was saying "Eggcorn" when they meant "Acorn". All in good fun.
2. "Peterson Dongel 999." This made me smile... I think you meant Donegal. The Republic of Ireland has several humorous town names. Among them are Muff, Termonfeckin, Birr and the good village of Dingle. However, Dongel isn't one of them yet, unless they have recently named a town after a laptop attachment? :)
Cheers!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.