PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
This was the first time I tried a flake style tobacco. I knew it came different from the others but when I opened the tin my first thought was "I thought they only made pot into brownies" because it looked exactly like a brownie would. I soon found the individual flakes and after playing around a few seconds discovered how to break it up and pack my pipe. I may invest in more flakes (recommendations anyone?) Because this has been really enjoyable.
Also I basically just rubbed the flake between my hands until it came apart. Is this the correct technique?

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
I enjoy P.S. Navy Flake. I hear the Mac Baren Navy Flake is also good but I have not had it yet.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
There is no right or wrong way to prepare flake tobacco. Alot of people rub it out like you did. Some cube cut it. Personally, I usually fold it up like an accordion.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Does this tobacco have a higher nicotine content then others? I noticed when I finished I got light headed and clammy.
I could have smoked too fast as I was enjoying the taste and smell but it's not like I smoked it in 10 minutes or anything. Really I was out there over an hour.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoking flake can be done without much thought, rub, load, smoke. But a balance can be achieved between the burn and the length of the burn. Fold and stuff burns slowest but there can be problems keeping it lit while rubbing out completely burns best. Smoking flake tobacco can become a skill, like packing loose tobacco. Experiment and find what you prefer.

smokeydogg

Lurker
Apr 30, 2018
I'm not sure about nicotine content relative to other blends, but Irish Flake goes straight to my head too. I enjoy it and keep it in my rotation but it is not one that I can bring to work.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
I'm not sure about nicotine content relative to other blends, but Irish Flake goes straight to my head too. I enjoy it and keep it in my rotation but it is not one that I can bring to work.
It may just be that blend then. I may try again but with a smaller amount and be sure I go as slow as possible. I really enjoyed this blend but not if its going to make me feel like that every time. I don't smoke to get nicotine or anything, I smoke a pipe because it's relaxing and enjoyable. The enjoyment kinda ends when you feel like you're gonna loose your lunch.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Irish Flake is pretty high in nicotine.
Flakes to try:
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Peterson University Flake

HH Latakia Flake

HH Bold Kentucky

HH Old Dark Fired

Peterson 3P's (it's a plug, but just as fun, you get to slice it)

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Flakes to try:

HH Latakia Flake

HH Bold Kentucky

HH Old Dark Fired

I'll add those to my list to try. Thank you.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Flakes to try:

HH Latakia Flake

HH Bold Kentucky

HH Old Dark Fired

I agree with the above completely! If I was starting out on flakes it would be HH ODF, a coin VaPer flake like Escudo or Davidoff Flake Medallions or Stokebye LBF or Navy Flake, and HH Latakia Flake. One each, won't break the bank, and you get a good all around sample of the different styles in a Burley, Virginia, VaPer, while practicing the various packing methods. Have Fun!

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Tons of flakes worth trying. Some of my favourites: Irish Flake, Old Dark Fired, 1792 Flake, Marlin Flake, Capstan Blue, Full Virginia Flake, Astleys 44. These are all very different flakes, both taste and strength wise.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
+ 1 on the 3P. Just tried it.
3P looks like it should be a real head knocker. Double dark chocolate kind of dark. Instead 3P hase this wonderful stew of darker sweeter flavors of fruit. Full bodied but NOT heavy. Rich but NOT overly strong.
I wasn't taking applications for new blends to cellar but it is great stuff. I slice it THIN like they do to garlic in jail in the Movie Goodfellas.
I kinda alternate the Pete's University Flake along with Dunhill Flake (similar imo) as early morning blends.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Irish Flake is a goodun. Would certainly endorse the recommendations of Old Dark Fired and Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Jun 4, 2018
I got knocked on my butt the first time I tried Irish flake to. I've found a good meal and pairing the pipe with a sugary beverage like sweet tea can help. Nicotine tolerances increase with use. I haven't had many flakes, but a cheap VAPer flake I found on P&C is Drexel XIII. Good perique punch to it. Also, plug tabacco is where you see real brownies. I got my Peterson's 3P and thought the same thing about brownies. I can't wait to smoke some of that one.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
What about JackKnife Plug from G.L. Pease? I have only one flake of Irish left and am wondering which tin to crack next, this one should be pretty close, right?

I have a high nicotine tolerance but Irish Flake is quite a challenge, I'm smoking it in the smallest pipe I own. Mainly rubbed out completely, sometimes cube cut. Stuff and fold has failed several times so I don't do it. Yet. :)

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
What about JackKnife Plug from G.L. Pease? I have only one flake of Irish left and am wondering which tin to crack next, this one should be pretty close, right?
IMO JKP and Irish Flake are very dissimilar, other than maybe their nicotine content. I tried to love JKP but it wasn't my cup of tea, not sweet enough. I gravitate toward naturally sweet tobacco so the S. Gawith flakes are pretty tough to beat for me. Best Brown is probably my favorite but St James and Full Virginia are good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.