PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Here's another Bulldog for the collection. I didn't take long to think this one over... PAD struck like lightning.
PETERSON ENGLISH ERA MEERSCHAUM DIAMOND BULLDOG ESTATE PIPE MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN. CRAGGY BENT BULLDOG Shape with P-LIP Stem Stamped GREAT BRITAIN WITH PETERSON ‘P’ LOGO.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/fred/album/picture/2804
kgrhquokoge4uzjdegbosgboztk0_31-600x375.jpg

Edit: Added photo to thread, Bubba

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks guys. I really just got lucky with this one. It really is a 'rare' find, which has to be the most abused term of all time on d-bay and in excellent condition for it's age. It didn't attract much attention and the Seller's minimum bid was reasonable, especially considering the popularity of Peterson Pipes and the limited production of these Pipes. Really, it was just blind luck.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Fantastic score Fred! I just picked up a Barling in a similar finish and am now...dare I say it?...in danger of becoming a Devotee myself...

barling-profile2-600x450.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it would seem that you are on the right course to becoming a Devotee. :)

These old African Block Meerschaums are getting harder to find since the Laxey mines closed down back in '06. They really are good Pipes.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
RESEARCH
I've made inquiry to Peterson, but have yet to get a reply, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their information on these older African Block Pipes will be scant.
Dear Mr. Bass

The pipe shown in the image that you emailed to us is a Tawny Deluxe – similar pipes were manufactured in Dublin up until 1985.

Kapp & Peterson also had a factory and office at 74/77 White Lion Street, London N.1 where they manufactured Peterson Pipes for many years – unfortunately we don’t know when the factory opened but it continued to manufacture pipes up until the end of the 1960s, you many have seen some pipes stamped “K & P London Made”? The factory manufactured the full range of Peterson pipes; however you should be able to confirm the origin and date of silver mounted pipes made in London as English hallmarks differ from our Irish hallmarks.

As you say that your pipe was manufactured in Great Britain then we can confirm that the meerschaum was sourced from Somalia at that time.

I hope this information is of interest.

Kind regards

Angela Fortune, Peterson Pipe Company
August 23, 2011. So far, this is the result of my research....
Patrick Brain, aka The Smoking Vicar, wrote: "If the pipe is stamped "GREAT BRITAIN" then it's probably from the Peterson English Era (from 1899 to around 1970). Unless it has a hallmarked silver band, it won't be easy to date. Peterson meers were fairly common (although expensive) in the 1970s but who actually made them is a mystery." These old Meerschaums are often difficult to trace back to their origin..., more so than Briar Pipes as a rule. Thanks for the links Jimbo. The information remains suppositional, at best and Ben Rapaport's expertise lies outside of this Pipe's legacy.

Research links provided by Jimbo:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Kiko

http://www.pipeacademy.org/pdf/working_groups/Meerschaum%20Carver%20list%20Jan%202011.pdf

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
Hey Fred - I'd recognize one of my old pipes (and photos) anywhere! Hope you're enjoying it - thanks again!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it has turned out to be a great Pipe for Virginia blends. It really sings with Germain's Brown Flake. It's got a Peterson box and Pipe bag from spare parts at the local B&M to rest in and will see a lot of use around here.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice. I have a mini meerschaum that I recently put back into my rotation. Simple, but I like, hope to get it nice and colored up.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
I have a DUBLIN just like it, with a hairline in the shank, if anyone's interested.

It's otherwise perfect; clean, shiny stem. I'm not convinced the crack is even an issue considering the reinforced mortise. Fred has first dibs if he pays for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.