PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Anyone notice that on the Peterson Donegal Rocky line, especially the 80S with the saddle bit and P-lip, there exists a space between the end of the tenon and the base of the mortise? It seems that fluid can collect easily here, and on occasion can generate the dreaded gurgle. Combine this with the fact that a pipe cleaner will not reach the end, without first removing the bit, and you have a problem. I have three of these pipes because I love the bowl design and they deliver a great smoke. Also they're small and easier to have on hand. However, I have filed down the bit to remove the P-lip, leaving a rough fishtail. But I wish the shank would line up with the bit so that a pipe cleaner could be used on occasion mid-smoke. Anyone else experience this problem with this line of pipes? Not to slam Peterson, as I love the brand, and nothing delivers such a great smoke for under $100!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Can you get a pipe cleaner all the way down mid-smoke on the 80S Donegal Rocky saddle bit without having to remove the bit first? I know the non-saddle, tapered bit 80S fishtails can accommodate the cleaner, but the saddle bit doesn't allow for this. Otherwise, a great little pipe.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
I too have a couple Pete's that will not pass a cleaner. It has become part of the process to wait til cooled, remove the stem and run a cleaner to the bowl.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Donegal Rocky 80s with a tapered stem and fishtail, and it will not pass a pipe cleaner.

I think the air space between the end of the tenon and base of the mortise is called a plenum,

and is supposed to be that way. Why, I dunno.

Comfortable pipe, but it only smokes well when I fire-up a Virginia flake. Go figure.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
With a bit of a tweak to the end of the cleaner and a wee twist while inserting it I have no trouble getting one to the bowl.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Peterson_cutaway.jpg

Peterson P-lip System Cutaway. This could be the source of difficulty in passing a cleaner down to the bowl.

I like my Donegal and the pipe cleaner takes a bit of wrangling but it will get there. The setup is intended to give a cooler, drier smoke. Moisture collects in that little well below the smoke hole. The system takes a bit of getting used to.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks everyone for the posts! I new to this site and have been like a kid in a candy store, staying up all night to read the posts. Thanks also for the new word "plenum". That's a first for me. I guess the idea is to create a small space where moisture can accumulate, in the Peterson system but only much smaller. But on my Dunhills after careful measurement on some half dozen pipes, it seems that a plenum is non existent. That is measuring the end of the tenon and the depth of the mortise, there is less than a fraction of a mm difference. Whereas with the Peterson Donegal Rocky 80 saddle bit P-lip that I have (2) there exists greater than 2mm. Anyhoo, its all very interesting and it all relates to the mechanics and the mystery of the smoke. Happy smoking.

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
Antipodesman, hey you're right! I have a P-Lip Donegal and it isn't a system pipe. My bad.
Thanks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
When carving a new pipe I try to come as close as possible to having no gap between the end of the tenon and the end of the mortise. Seems to me, that if you have less turbulence you will get a dryer cooler smoke.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Makes sense to me Uncle Arthur. I've always thought that the smaller the gap between the Tenon end and the Mortise, the better the pipe. My Donegal Rocky 80s saddle bit pipes however seem to have a relatively large plenum. In addition to not taking a cleaner. As antipodes note, these are not Peterson System pipes. My sneaking suspicion is that this large plenum in the Donegal 80S may serve a similar purpose, that is to collect moisture, but at this small of a scale, as compared to the true System Pipes, which have larger reservoirs, does not work very well. I guess my only alternative, since I like the bowl so much, is to have a custom made fishtail bit. My two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.