PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I ordered several tins of this, as the various Christmas blends are usually my only annual nod to aromatics. Some years I like them very well, other years they get packaged up and re-gifted (with full disclosure, of course) to pipe-smoking buddies of the aro persuasion.
Peterson Christmas Blend 2012
This year, if you want a tin of this, you'd best get your own. Because you can't have any of mine.
My 10-year-old son has a scary nose. (No, not like that. I mean that it is frighteningly perceptive.) I like to have him sniff a tin of tobacco and describe it, because he almost nails the description precisely, and in a way I wouldn't have thought of. (For example, one whiff of FMOTT and he said "barbecued ribs." Sound crazy? Go right now and try it. I'll wait. . . . . See?) So after enjoying the delicious tin note of PCB12 for a while, but just not being able to nail it down, I called in Joey. He buried his nose in the bag, emerged and declared: "Warm spiced cider -- in a wooden cup."
And he is exactly right. The sweet, citrus and fruit scents of the Virginia tobacco are foremost in the aroma of this attractive black and gold, rough-cut mixture. Similarities to OGS immediately occurred to me. The earthy, mellow black Cavendish (The label says there are three types, without saying exactly what sort of tobaccos have been "Cavendished. I suspect there is some burley lurking there.) does not make its presence known until you put fire to this tobacco. But then -- oh then -- from the first touch of flame, any fears this would be some Perique-free version of OGS is put to rest.
The tin describes this tobacco as "harmonious and comforting," and let's be honest: such language, when used in reference to shredded leaves, can only be mere adverting. We'd be disinclined to buy a blend that promised to be "discordant and troubling". But I have to credit the copywriters with more than a sales pitch, because the balance between the sweet Virginias and full-bodied black Cavendish happens in a way that this almost-exclusively-English-blend smoker was able to enjoy. The text promises hazelnut, caramel and apples, and even my proletarian palate found nuts (although I could not swear to the hazel variety) and burnt sugar (which, let's be honest, is all caramel really is) along with a bushel full of apples.
The smoke from this blend is prodigious and carries a room note my darling wife describes as "not anywhere near as awful as what you usually smoke" -- outstandingly high praise for any tobacco. (In her defense, I really DO like Latakia.) I found no need to dry or otherwise fiddle with the tobacco, as it burned easily, steadily and completely right out of the package. It lacked any of the hint of damp stickiness that usually puts me off aros before I've even tried them.
I tried this first in a briar, a large Pete, just because that seemed the right thing to do. Then I considered how much Lat-heavy English tobacco had been turned to ash in that trusty pipe, so I tried the next bowl of PCB12 in a large meerschaum. Thus freed of the ghosts of Christmas past, this tobacco (which I had already enjoyed enough to know this would NOT be a big year for sharing) absolutely ignited. All the flavors were that much cleaner and, although I got just a bit of gurgle at one point, because I was liking it too well and pushing it too hard, there wasn't a hint of tongue bite from a tobacco that is, after all, a full-bore aro. I suspect this tobacco might attain even greater heights in a new cob.
So here's my advice: Buy some of this. Indeed, buy quite a bit of it. It doesn't come in bulk, I don't think. But it is packaged in a very festive non-vacuumed tin, with the tobacco sealed inside, so you can remove the tobacco and easily use the tin to box up something shiny for your lovely bride's stocking (presuming there's room amongst the coal and switches).
*Peterson actually calls this their "Holiday Season" blend. As far as I can tell, 2009 was the last year they actually called it a "Christmas" blend. There is in this an entire rant calling out to be ranted, but I think I'll just relax with a pipe instead.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a bunch of Peterson blends that I havent tried, I just got my hands on a boat load of their 2012 Special Reserve and this sounds tasty as hell. You sure I cant have any of yours? I'll arm wrestle you for it ;)

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Sorry, PN, not much of an arm-wrestle-a-guy-for-your-tobacco guy. I'm more the shoot-the-guy-from-across-the-valley-with-a-scoped-rifle-before-he-can-get-near-your-tobacco kind of guy. :)

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
My tin just arrived today from P&C. I am trying to decide if I should hold on to it if pop that baby open and enjoy it now. Darn it! I hate these decisions.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Nice review. Right now I'm enjoying last year's blend as I type this. I snagged up a tin of this year's blend earlier this week. With the community growing so rapidly this Holiday Blend has been selling out quickly the last two years. My plan of attack is to stock up on two tins this year and add that to my leftovers from last year. That way next holiday season I'll have a lot of Peterson Holiday Blends to hold me over until the week of Christmas when my fiance gets me the tin, ofcourse she'll have to order it early in November and store it away in a closet until then lol.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Great review and spot on! I picked up a tin from my local BM this morning and the last aromatic I've enjoyed this much was the Larsen 2011 Limited Edition. I'm not an aromatic fan at all but this stuff is deliciously good! Reminds me of smoking Nahkla Double Apple in a shisha/hookah years ago in Egypt.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Reminds me of smoking Nahkla Double Apple in a shisha/hookah years ago in Egypt.
I said the exact same thing! I grew up on Nakhla DA so it's no surprise I love this. Even my brother when he walked outside told me he came out because he thought I had the argileh going, heh.
See here for my acknowledgement of the similarity :) : http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/early-holiday-season-tad#post-309635

Status
Not open for further replies.