PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What are everyone's thoughts on the Peterson Aran series? I'm contemplating ordering a few new pipes (the 80S and 150) online, and I'm curious if these have a sturdy, reliable build for their price? I was also considering possibly just purchasing a single Peterson Irish Harp 80S in place of the other two, but most retailers are sold-out. Any thoughts?

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I own an ARAN. I believe it’s a 106, but I’d have to double check. It’s a solid pipe and I’m completely happy with the purchase.

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm after something that looks good, smokes good, and has the ability to be used on down the family line someday (in the distant, distant future). I have the feeling that Peterson is the kind of company that offers all of this for a very reasonable price.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Peterson is a very Irish company in that it offers good-great products at reasonable prices. You can get a long lasting good smoking pipe in the $60-$80 range or a great smoking pipe in the $150-$250 range. I have three Arans myself and I love them. I have the B5, 05, and 268 shapes. My favorite right now has become the B5. It tends to smoke the best. I love the 268 and the 05 shapes though. The B5 is a bulldog style, 268 is a zulu style, and the 05 is a briar calabash style. The grain on the Aran series is really nice and the nickel band looks really good. They smoke great, but some shapes tend to take longer to break in than others. Overall Arans are good pipes and definitely one I'd suggest in buying an affordable pipe to pass on years down the road. Cup O Joes has a good selection of Arans including the 80s.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had an Aran, 268 Zulu, but never warmed to the p-lip. It smoked well and had a wonderful grain pattern, but I learned that I really don't care for tiny pipes. I traded it for a another p-lip, a bent Killarney, but again too small so I traded it for my Charatan billiard. Their XL series look appealing, I've held several of those I wouldn't mind owning. But, no more p-lip. I suggest you handle any pipe you are thinking about buying, particularly if you see handing it down, etc.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
My first Peterson was an Aran....and I'm still enjoying it. Now there are several more Petes in my stable.... :clap:

sigmapiguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like my order will be placed fairly soon, then haha. I'm really attracted towards bulldogs/bent bulldogs, but alas, my local tobacco stores only carry the standard OTC pipes.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you're interested in a specific pipe though you might want to print it out and ask if the local store can order it in for you. I made a bible, I mean a copy of the Peterson catalogue from their website and if I can't find a pipe I like in that book at a store I'll just ask them to order one for me. One store said they didn't carry the Holmes series', but would gladly place the order for me. Now all I need is a job so I can afford one of those sets lol. It's worth asking though. Worst that can happen is they could say "No we can't do that".

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have an aran, and although I love the pipe it does have some quality issues. But they are really affordable. If it wasn't for the flaws it would be a great pipe with a great grain. If you are looking for a pipe to pass down through generations I'd recommend getting something a bit more pricey. Anyway, here it is:
5276295857_ef5082e5d3_b.jpg

(Peterson shape 268 rocks)

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I have the Aran B11 volcano sitter and find it smokes nice and smooth. Great pipe for the money!

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
To tide over my PAD til I have the first of my Uncle Arthurs in my hands, I'll most likely get an Aran. Or one of the racing greens.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thread resurrection! I have an Aran 606 and an Aran 999 and I exclusively smoke them while I do yard work.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have an 06, straight billard, green spray with silver band.
One of the finest smokers I own...

Pics in the show off thread

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I also own an Aran Zulu, the 286, fishtail (non-Plip). I really like the way SmokingPipes.com described it:
With grace and fluidity, the Zulu shape perfectly melds the nearly vertical canted bowl with a slightly tapered oval shank. Pairing the shape with a slightly bent stem makes the Dublin-derived shape look as if it is relaxing at one end, even as the bowl seems to be driving forward. This Peterson of Dublin pipe, as subtle as it may be, achieves a potent response.
It is a perfect smoker. The bowl has a bore of 0.71 inches and is 1.45 inches deep, great for a quick smoke, or for flakes perchance, which I hold in personal disfavor; flake tobacco that is, not the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.