Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The new mega-Pete book released at the Chicago show contains the info-bit that Peterson intends to abandon stamping for laser engraving for all of its lines ASAP.
My take? Bad idea. Horrible idea.
Why? Laser engraving has become the universal calling card of roadside kitsch. From napkin holders to drink coasters to you name it, few things scream cheap, mass-produced crap more loudly than laser engraving.
Regarding pipes in particular, its incompatibilities are many, from loading up with wax & crud which is impossible to remove completely no matter what, to making invisible refinishing impossible (stain sponges into the raw wood and neat little letters become blurry dark spots).
That's my take. I would never, ever own a pipe that was laser engraved. Change my mind.

Jan 8, 2013
I'm pretty sure recent St. Pattrick's Day pipes were laser engraved... 2016-2018. I'm not 100% sure but the 2019 St Patty's day looks stamped. They look ok, to me. Easily readable, nothing crooked or too shallow.

Jan 8, 2013
I tried to edit my last post but waited too long.
One of my XL21 is laser engraved also, and because of the stain seemed to be the easiest to photo for an example. The engraving actually looks quite nice.
38svDZO.jpg

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
x2 Horrible idea. Stamping gives it more individual character and re-enforces the "hand made" feel. Even if the stamping is slightly mis-aligned etc I would prefer that to laser.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
This almost is certainly to cut costs and rejects. With a proper vision system they wouldn't even need any fancy fixtures for the pipes. I imagine a fair amount of stampings get rejected.
I have a fair bit of experience with lasers in the metal side of things and they are capable of some very impressive finishes. Not sure what the limitations are on wood and what changes happen at the surface when lasered (to the OP's point on loading with wax and such). I would be on the fence and would probably buy either way although my preference would be to see the markings done by laser incorporating features that would be difficult/impossible with hand stamping. Things like 3d or rastered graphics. I think laser would make some very eye catching markings possible.

Jan 8, 2013
Things like 3d or rastered graphics. I think laser would make some very eye catching markings possible.
I'm ok with laser engraved nomenclature. But I sure as heck don't want to see laser engraved graphics on the pipes.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I would have to agree. It would be easy to get carried away and things could get tacky. Rastered graphics was maybe a poor choice of words. Laser marking equipment of today is capable of making 3d marks with unreal detail at very small scale. It would be interesting to see what that capability could do for wood. But I admit that in lasering wood I am out of my depth. The picture you posted, to me, shows that laser markings can be done tastefully.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I wouldn't think of trying to change your mind. My take is, the one shown above certainly looks acceptable to me but, I'm not into restoring/repairing. I can empathize with you though. I'm guessing the "bottom line" drove Peterson's decision.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have three of the laser engraved pipes....as much as I love Pete's, I'm not buying any more that are laser engraved. It makes the pipes look like shit.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't own one, nor seen one that was laser engraved. But, if they looked like what Anthony posted, I wouldn't have much problem with it.

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys.
Just as an FYI: that was the case, but one of our first moves was to shy away from laser engraving. 2019 SPD were hand stamped, as were 2019 PotYs for the first time in a few years. It's possible we might use it in very limited situations in the future, but on the whole we're getting back to hand stamping.
Hope this clears things up.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well that was quick!
I can see from a restorers viewpoint how difficult it would be. There is something decidedly tactile about the stamping in a pipe though. It connects you with how the pipe was made in a way.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hey guys.
Just as an FYI: that was the case, but one of our first moves was to shy away from laser engraving. 2019 SPD were hand stamped, as were 2019 PotYs for the first time in a few years. It's possible we might use it in very limited situations in the future, but on the whole we're getting back to hand stamping.
Hope this clears things up.
Ah.
Since the Laudisi purchase is mentioned by Tom Palmer in the foreword, it gives the impression that the entire book's contents were brought up to date before going to press. Not so, apparently, and technical chapters contain some "old info". (Perfectly understandable for logistical reasons---the ownership change was recent, and the book was years in the making. Maybe even printed by the then.)
OK, then. :clap: Today is a happy day. :D
Also, congratulations to the person responsible (presumably at Laudisi) for tanking the Great Laser Plan. You are doing excellent work, sir. 8)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I can see there being a niche for that sort of nomenclature. Perhaps a dedicated line that's all lasered. Certainly would allow much easier customization for smallish group buys. (Joe's Radiator and Tofu Shop, for example.)

Status
Not open for further replies.