Peterson 999 Rocky Donegal Restoration (1960's)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I finished this 999 earlier this week. This is the 2nd 1960's era Rocky Donegal 999 that I've owned. The first was identical to this one, but included the box and paperwork. Oddly, that one had what Mark Irwin and I determined was an acrylic stem. This pipe has a vulcanite, fishtale stem. Mark said these pipes were imported by Rogers in the late 50's to early 60's era. I love the rugged Rocky Donegal finish of that era, which is markedly different than the modern version.
Full restoration details are on the Reborn Pipes blog.

https://rebornpipes.com/2018/05/19/peterson-rocky-donegal-999-restoration/
Before:
peterson_999_rocky_donegal_before-1.jpg

peterson_999_rocky_donegal_before-2.jpg

After:
peterson_rocky_donegal_01.jpg

peterson_rocky_donegal_02.jpg

peterson_rocky_donegal_03.jpg

peterson_rocky_donegal_07.jpg

peterson_rocky_donegal_09.jpg

This one is headed to an forum member who lives on the island of Cyprus.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
I love the rugged Rocky Donegal finish of that era, which is markedly different than the modern version.

I totally agree.
5P49Wun.jpg

Now...
002-029-21261_1.jpg

:crying:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very nice Al. I, too, prefer the older rustication style of Donegals years past. Only Donegal I own is a very craggy number, a squat bulldog, back when they were using silver ferrules and the stain was black without the red addition. The degree of cragginess of mine is along the line of what you posted piffyr.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
In fact, I'd add that that older style of rustication was more typical of Peterson pipes in a number of ranges only to be replaced by versions of what piffyr posted, albeit with the rustication more artfully done than with the current Donegal line in some of their lines. In fact, think the current Donegal line features their worst rustication. I have an '89 SH Deerstalker with wonderful rustication of the sort found in the old Donegals while current rusticated SH's have adopted rustication closer to the Donegal line now.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The current Donegal rustication is obviously done by machine in comparison to the older cragginess. No contest.
Al, awesome refurb.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys, this one was in great shape, so it was not very challenging.
Here's the first model of this pipe, mentioned in the blog. Identical in every way, including the straight stinger tube. That one was just barely smoked, but it had some marks on the briar. I sent that one to Mark Irwin, who had it professionally photographed for his book. This one will be the feature pipe for the 999 Rocky Donegal and a section on the Rogers import pipes. (sans hallmarks)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an elegant version of the 999. Peterson makes some commendable new pipes, but perhaps not as dependably. All of mine have worked out so well, so far, I feel lucky, blessed, and spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.