PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was visiting one of my local shops yesterday (JB Hayes/Winchester VA) and found this 1910 Patent Bulldog Reproduction. The pipe is hallmarked with an "M" which dates it to 1998. The "Made In Ireland" threw me for a moment. The 1910 chubby shape really appeals to me.
Unfortunately, the P-lip button was as mangled as I've ever seen. I have no idea how someone could take such good care of the bowl and totally destroy the button. I've emailed Peterson to see how much a new vulcanite stem would be run. If anyone has experience getting a new stem from Peterson, please chime in.

I attempted to rebuild the P-lip button, but that was to put it politely, a disaster. Too much was chewed off the end to get it back to any kind of stock shape. (it is actually smokable as is).
I polished the sterling collar and bowl.

I think that I was probably kicked off the Peterson International Collectors Club forum. Forum activity is practically nill there and my few posts have resulting in an admin chastising me for too large photos. I

May 31, 2012
I can't help with info about the stem,

but I must say YOWZA! what a good looker!
I love those old sports style pipes and you got a winner,

right in your wheelhouse and a perfect compliment to your collection.
Congrats on the find.
It really pops after you cleaned it up!
Enjoy!

:puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I happen to have the billiard mate to that shape, also made it the late 90's. (It is a FANTASTIC smoker, btw. One of my 5 "desert island" set.)
Since I made a fishtail stem for it and still have the only-used-a-few-times original P-lip it came with... the only Proper & Just PipeWorld thing to do is mail it to you, I think. Compliments of the management, as the saying goes.
PM me an address and it'll be on its way tomorrow. :D

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
That's a beauty SS. Can't wait to see it with the new stem. Congrats on the nice find.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Here ya go. Looks like 3 inches exactly, from tenon end to button face:
dE0O4xF.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That sure is the stem. Wow, that would be fantastic George! I'll PM you my address. I'd offer you some tobacco, but I know you have a specific taste!

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Nice Pete! I love the patent reissues, really highlights the long history of Kapp & Peterson.
Al, you were certainly not struck off the IPPC site. The problem with that site is that photos larger than 600 pixels wide wack out the page and on some PCs makes the thread very difficult to follow/read - I know, not good for a "modern" web site. Just resize them to 600 wide and you are all set.
FYI, I did respond to your post over there with a bit more info on the "Special".
Regards,
Bob

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
What great pipes. They both beat the pants off of Peterson's current Sportsman offerings, even though the Sportsman pipes are, I believe, true military mount pipes.
ssjones and georged, The resolution to the stem problem renews my faith in the community of pipe smokers.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
For future reference though this wouldn't help this pipe 4noggins carries replacement plip stems for system style pipes. I have bought them for pipes I found with no stem and they fit very well. Good on George though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@rblood (Bob) - thanks for the reply, I might have been a little testy. I'll move forward and figure out the picture angle. A brand like Peterson needs a dedicated forum and I'm happy to participate.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
George must have put that stem on the Pony Express as it arrived today. I came home late from work but had time to mount the stem (being a military bit, it fit perfectly) and snap a couple of pictures. I'll look forward to smoking the pipe tomorrow evening. Thanks George D for your thoughfulness.
With the replacement stem, the pipe is really like new.

K

klause

I've only seen one of these before - that was quite some time ago - and it was lust at first sight. But, over time the urge deminished as the metal picture of that object of beauty receeded into the depths of my memory, and I was distracted by others, of equal beauty - or so I thought.
But now, once again, I'm consumed by desire.
Beautiful pipe, Al.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Klause and all. I've never seen one in the flesh either and I was somewhat astounded to see it in the bottom of the case. I looked at it and decided the stem was too rough to buy it for the asking price from the clerk (owner out, no negotiating). But, I was so enamored, I drove the 40 mile trip the next day when I knew the owner was working and snagged it for a lower price (along with a GBD, City DeLuxe and 5 Falcons), so it was worth the trip.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Some more pipe collector kindness: Dr. Mark Irwin, who hosts the Peterson Collectors Blog reblogged my Reborn Pipes blog on the pipe. He offered me the box that holds all four pipes. How cool is that?

So now, I have a three pipe problem and a search!
I could take the easy way out with this unsmoked set...but then I'd have to change my Facebook status to "Single".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301708318213?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
$_57.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.