Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am a huge fan of Mac Baren's HH Old Dark Fired and smoke at least a bowl and usually two bowls per day. It is my current favorite, and have been partaking of the great 20% off sale at SmokingPipes.com, buying many tins for long-term storage, and buying bulk for current consumption.
I saw at Pipes & Cigars they also sell Peter Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired in bulk, so I ordered a pound of it (it's only ~$26/lb). Gonna do a taste test this weekend and will share what I learn. I am still fairly new to pipe smoking in earnest, so it will be a rookie review, but I am looking forward to it.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I agree about the nicotine. I'd go with a small bowl as it's pretty potent stuff. In most blends I've used it in, I keep it at 10 to 25% of the mixture or it can overpower the flavor, and trigger some hiccups, too.
Russ

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Good advice Russ, thanks. If it's too strong I may use it to blend. I have been meaning to try my hand at blending for a while.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
OH YEAH BABY all dark fired Kentucky.Sounds like some a$$ kicking stuff.Let me tip my hat to ya conlejm.And the price 1lbs-just under 2lbs $1.68 an oz.Killer deal.Does anyone know if Kentucky ages well.It might actually be worth stocking up on and shelving.Especially if ya like it.Might buy a couple oz and try it.Reached my T.A.D. limit this month.But next month is right around the corner hehehehe.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Good advice Russ, thanks. If it's too strong I may use it to blend. I have been meaning to try my hand at blending for a while.
You'll probably definitely have to blend it, there's blending tobacco for a reason. I think it'll probably be like smoking straight latakia or perique, not many people do it. At least it was only 25$ or so, but I have a feeling you'll have it on hand for a long time.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'm very curious to see how this goes for you. I love Old Dark Fired. And for that price, you have nothing to lose. It'll be fun to experiment with, for sure.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am definitely going to try a small bowl of it straight, out of morbid curiosity. If I survive, I will then try mixing this with a variety of Virginias, some Perique and I think we may be in business. Or even add a pinch to some existing blends to kick it up a notch. Very excited to try mixing my own, as seen on Russ' Pipes & Cigars website.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Right now I'm smoking two parts Stokkebye 1 Natural Virginia, two parts Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired, and one part Stokkebye 311 Perique in a Peterson Silver Spigot Walnut XL02 Bent Apple. The sweetness of the Virginias, the earthiness of the Dark-Fired, and the spiciness of the Perique are coming through quite nicely. I think the #1 Natural has some burley mixed in, too. I may cut the Perique back a tiny bit next time, but overall this is a great smoke when I need a break from the Latakia blends that I typically smoke. If I was a little better at this reviewing thing I would say I'm tasting grassy and nutty flavors, and the smoke is creamy, and maybe some honey notes. I don't think any of these blends have any topping. Definitely a nice cool smoke when sipped at a moderate pace. I'm halfway through it and the taste has been consistent throughout. No bite at all. Not overly complex in taste, a nice nicotine hit, and I could honestly smoke this all day. Medium to strong flavor and only one relight. I'm at the bottom of the bowl now and just a nice fine ash, no dottle. I think I'll have another bowl!
I know there is a blend called Kendal Kentucky that is 100% dark-fired and gets good reviews, and I may try the #314 Dark Fired straight another time, but right now this home brew is doing it for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.