PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
This little volcano came up on one of my saved eBay searches last week. I won the auction yesterday and picked up this pipe for a pretty reasonable price:
eksmbN8.png

cB94i4b.png

NV2mFyA.png

1YoXoBh.png

I wasn't sure who Pete Prevost was before finding this pipe. From what I found it looks like Pete made pipes on his own from 2011 to 2013 before joining Todd Johnson and creating Briarworks (who also make Icarus and Neptune pipes). Pete and Bruce appear to be good friends and ended up collaborating on this pipe.
I haven't been a big fan of blasts/rustified pipes, but Bruce's work has been growing on me over the last few months. The combination of these two American artisans working together on my favorite shape was too much for me to resist.
This pipe was my first true case of PAD. I couldn't resist it. I was willing to pay much much more than what the auction went for. Hopefully there aren't too many more pipes out there that have this kind of pull over me or I'll end up a very poor and a very single man. 8)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
While I'm not fan of the Volcano shape, it certainly showcases a good blast. Those two makers are cream of the crop, so it should be a fantastic pipe.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a great looking pipe, wonderful blast, love the color and the stem work looks very nice. If I had seen it I would have gone after it. Great deal and congrats.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Harris - if I hadn't seen this pipe I would taken that Abe Harbaugh auction from you last week! I expected this pipe to go much higher so I backed off all my other auctions.
@chasingmembers - I blame this purchase on you. All those posts from you about Bruce Weaver pipes over the last few months got me started looking in his direction. :)

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
The pipe arrived from England this morning. I knew it was going to be small but you never really know until the pipe arrives and you can put it in your hand...
Tqm15gD.jpg

vFymfZS.jpg

This little pipe is very nice. The draw if effortless and the Weaver blast is incredible.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised to get a 90 minute first smoke out of this little pipe tonight.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The blast is superb, and for the time being Mr. Weaver's work is still affordable, although albeit still multi-hundred.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I've noticed that bowl size and smoking time are not linear - a bowl half as small often smokes nearly as long as the bigger bowl.
That is a beautiful blast. It has the motion of ocean surf.

peteprevost

Lurker
Mar 5, 2015
Hi Bernie2, I'm glad you ended up with this pipe and are enjoying it! Allow me to give you some back story. I began making handmades back in 2008. I first met Jody Davis, and after learning from him for a few months, I met Todd. I then worked closely with Todd and Bruce. Indeed, Bruce is one of my best friends. He is a great guy. This volcano was a commission from a gentleman who had seen a volcano of mine on Neill Roan's blog, and wan't me to make him one similar that was a blast. The block I chose to make the pipe from had beautifully spaced growth rings, and I thought, instead of doing it myself I should have Bruce do this one justice! He certainly did!
In addition to helping run BriarWorks now, I am still making handmades in my spare time. I have not made this shape in quite some time, but ironically I just shaped one out just like this about a week ago.
Pete

May 31, 2012
A stunning pipe!
I like the size and I love the shaping,

and the gnarly birdseye on bottom is killer!
Congrats,

enjoy it well!

:puffy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There was a Bruce Weaver black bent blast on smokingpipes that I saw, with a chamber depth of ~46mm with which I was taken, for ~$450.00. As it is indeed doubtful that that amount of cash will make itself available, I hereby release my less than digital hold on its attentions and announce it to the many strong consumers of pipe craft who frequent this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.