Personal Safety.... How Much Do You Think Ahead?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Headed to the lake camp this morning I passed through Springhill, Louisiana. Right through down town. I live in Arkansas, but head down that way to get a 20 pack or two as my county is dry. (I'm only 8 miles from the state line). Going through town, I saw this tanker truck and a garden hose stretched over the road, cars were just driving over it. No big deal, all the cars were doing it. As I got near it I saw this guy with gloves on disconnecting from something... and the connection was smoking.... Ice smoking! I slammed on the brakes! It was a liquid oxygen tanker, and he had extended the hose by getting a garden hose from WalMart. He had a cryogenic liquid going through a garden hose.... and cars were driving over it!!!!! I made a few phone calls.

The reason I was late getting to the lake this morning was because I was waiting for OSHA to get there... it was quit an inconvenience!

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Wooowww that is a scary thought. Some people really do not use their mind. :?

Glad you made the responsible and educated decision to stop and get a hold of OSHA.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I don't think smoking around Liquid Oxygen is a problem. But, I am supprised that he hose did not break. Spraying cryogenic fluid around would be a problem. Some people don't KTAFA rock.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
I don't even know what to say about this. Wait yes I do! You can't fix stupid!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
No, he wasn't smoking.... and your right, you can put a flame to it and nothing. The deal was the liquid...

It's so frigging dangerous I can't even start to describe if you haven't had experience. If that garden hose had of

broken, cryogenic liquid could have sprayed all over that down town square like a fire hose gotten lose. That

oxygen is -222C, meaning it will instantly destroy flesh!

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
TopD, What are all the potential dangers in this case? Besides concentrated oxygen being explosive and liquid oxygen being extremely cold. Was the main problem that the hose would have frozen solid, ruptured, and spilled liquid oxygen onto the road? Wouldn't liquid oxygen immediately form into a gas in this case? I'm just ignorant of handling such a product. thanks.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
OK off of Liquids ..... I have an Aunt that won't wear her seat belt because she thinks if the car wrecks, she'll burn in the fire, not being able to get the belt off.... I've told her hundreds of times, that if she's injured in the wreck because of no restraint, she wont be able to get out anyway.....

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I just remember playing with liquid nitrogen in high school physics. Lots of fun. OSHA probably wouldn't allow that anymore.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Does your aunt watch a lot of TV, in particular CHIPS, where every fender bender ends with a blazing explosion?!?!?
The vast majority of car accidents don't end up in a raging inferno.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
What I hate is going to the range and having idiots playing with their "tacticool" guns while there is a cease fire and everyone is changing targets. It amazes me how few people will step up and say something. Usually it is me and something along the lines of "get you head out of your ass or leave".

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've got a little firing range experience and know exactly! It's really great when you can just slap the crap out of them.
243324.jpg

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Ranges are some of the worst places, weekend warriors with their new toys that they treat exactly llike toys. Then they shoot themselves or someone else and gov goes after my guns. Watched a guy with 6 handguns, all loaded all stacked on the little shelf at the range, all pointed in random directions. I complained to the range owner and as he waved me off one of said pistols fell from the shelf, of course it didn't fire. Still what idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.