PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
Going to be long-winded here with a purpose.

Though I love hardcore tobaccos, I love my sweet ones as well. Bought all sorts of new flavors and could taste NONE of them. What I thought was Tobacco Tongue turned out to be more allergies affecting my buds. Some antihistimine later I decided to brush my tongue as well.

First stop was Briar Patch Peach Cobbler. Has a wonderful smell, like the title.I did (first time was pre-tongue brush with no taste) get the fruity notes this time and though not the most flavorful, certainly was an okay smoke. I start out at 3 stars and add or subtract from there. This would be 3.5.
I have mentioned having a jar of Captain Spice from Tinder Box since 2008. I also found food grade tubs of Peach Melba and Mango Tango from TB as well. From the jar notes I don't think Captain Spice, which is all black cavendish, aged well. More to follow. Peach Melba and Mango Tango are simply sublime. I had PM in a tub and in a baggie. I had taken all the air out of the baggie oh so long ago. When I found it, it was inflated wonderfully.

The reason all this went missing was during a period of two leg breaks, different times, I spent months in the hospital and rehab and my Wicked Sister-in-Law, just kidding, helped the wife sort out my stuff.
I consider Nightcap to be the best of its variety, giving it a 5 star. Peach Melba and Mango Tango, as a flavored aromatic, after ten years, are within an inch of that. Unfortunately, Tinderbox sells neither anymore.

Faithfully or Fatefully submitted,

Cos

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think many of the Tinder Box blends were and are sourced from bigger blending outfits, so you might be able to find the same blends or similar by reviewing some of the offerings of big blending outfits. I started with Tinder Box aromatics which I found pleasant, but after some months with one or two of these, I developed an aftertaste that made them, and pipe smoking, less appealing. Some were better than others, so I won't try to single out the problematical blends. This was decades ago. Now I have several aromatic blends that are part of my rotation and are sufficiently tobacco-forward, so don't seem to have an aftertaste.

May 4, 2015
Unfortunately, Tinderbox sells neither anymore.
Not familiar with either, BUT Tinderbox just rebrands available bulk (for the most part), so with a little searching I'm sure you could track down the same blends under different names. There was even a thread a while back if I recall correctly, that listed on what they actually were.
Looking on their site, it seems both Mango Tango AND Peach Melba are still sold by TB if you wanted to buy local. If they don't have them in the jars, perhaps they'd be willing to stock some for you.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
MSO and Tom, I have not been out of the house in six years, I think. The rare times I was were paid for by weeks in bed. I am not even sure we have a B&M TB anymore. The last one was in one of the most beautiful indoor outdoor plazas, so nice that I used to take dates there to walk around. Last time at TB there, almost 20 years ago, the place was a ghost of itself thanks to teens and gangs, one group about as destructive as the other. The both that I found, along with another tub of Captain Spice, have aged quite well. Without driving myself nuts I will... ooops, drive my self nuts, though in a good way, looking for a new steady.

"Back in the Day" that I was referring to we also had a Tobacconist in a Victorian Style outside plaza surrounded by a couple hotels. Very nice. The Tobacconist named his blends after Holmes names. What I assume was Captain Spice was Grimpen Mire there. At sixty, even imaginary moments are dear. I look at old postcards blown up to a 32 inch monitor and it looks like I am driving down the street of some town in Montana or Arizona, etc. Naming tobaccos to match the flavor is pretty important to me. Childish, maybe, but I am happy in my land of...

Cosmania

Status
Not open for further replies.