PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I'm planning on placing an order from the US soon, I'd like a perique bomb. So what's the spicest, pepperiest blend you've smoked?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
John Patton's Cool Hand Fluke from 4noggins. Highly acclaimed, definitely Perique forward (40%), economical (it's a bulk blend), tasty and, equally important, 4noggins ships internationally. A Perique lover's "must try" because of its earthy, musty, stewed fruit flavor -- pungent, but it never struck me as excessively peppery.
PipesAndCigars.com's "Hearth & Home Signature" product line has a number of "peppery" VaPers, but unfortunately they don't ship internationally. But if you have someone in the U.S.A. who would forward the stuff to you, then check out: Louisiana Red, Rolando's Own,

AJ's VaPer; and to lesser degrees of intensity, Anniversary Kake, Virginia Spice, and L J Heart Virginia.

When a blend reaches that point of "too much perique" it isn't what you'd expect it to be. Smoking straight perique is not the insanity that people make it out to be. I've done it several times. It's not crazy hot, peppery, or bitey at all. It's just very cigarettey, sort of bland, boring, IMO. I think that as a seasoning, a little goes a lot further in taste than too much. Also, I didn't find smoking straight perique to be crazy high in nicotine either, not like a rope at all.
Cool Hand Fluke is good stuff though. Give it a try.

The strongest VaPer on steroids that I've had is H&H's Freight Train. It's a good kick in the head.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Agree, the magic of Perique and Latakia is their ability to pick up and contrast with other leaf, like Virginia, burley,

and Orientals.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
mso489 - I've always thought of the two as like Salt and Pepper to food. Sure a scrambled egg is good but with S&P its even better. Or like grilling over charcoal yea a gas grill gets the job done but who doesn't love the taste of a burger or steak cooked over good ole all American backyard grill charcoal. They as you said should complement not dominate.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
C&D Bayou Nights is pretty heavy handed in the Perique department. As is Daughters & Ryan Rimboche AB and AP.
Just my $0.02.
Happy hunting!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've never had Bayou night but that would definitely be a perique bomb, 50% perique in that one.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I agree with Blueeyedogre about the Beacon Extra. It's super spicy and delicious.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm with user Perique on this one: GLP Fillmore is the periqueiest blend I've smoked. I'm sure there are bigger ones out there, but most days, Fillmore's too big for me, let alone these 40% pepper bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.