PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Hello all!
I have searched these forums and received advice from many great/talented smokers on cleaning pipes. Most of my pipes have been estate pipes, and they aren't the cleanest things you'll ever see. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, so I thought I could clean them up myself. I have read before that in order to clean the black "gunk" off of a rim, you can just simply use a moist rag and some elbow grease. Another poster said they use a soft toothbrush and gently scrub, but only if the "gunk" is really bad. Well, I did this and I was amazed that the black "gunk" came right off! I originally thought it was just the singed wood and nothing could be done.
One problem, however. I did this on a pipe I paid three bucks for, since I figured I didn't have too much invested in it, and I knew it wouldn't affect the smoking quality. The pipe is a Scandia 799, made in Denmark. After the black crap was gone, the wood around the rim was a bit faded. Have I done something wrong? I tried not to scrub too hard... Not that I could as my arm strength is lacking (haha.)
As usual, I apologize if the answer is posted somewhere else. I do some searching before each post to try and eliminate repeats, but I could have missed something. There are a lot of posts!
Any advice, information, corrections, comments, tips, etc. would be extremely helpful, and, as always, much appreciated.
Smokey :puffy:

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
OH! And pictures will come later. I am not currently at home with my pipes right now.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hi there.
Is the fading more obvious on the edges of the rim? This sometimes happens because as you work the brush/cloth, you inadvertently apply more pressure to the edges versus the flat surface of the rim. It is also possible that you are seeing the result of a leaching of the stain from the rim due to the solvent (water, saliva, soap) used. This is common, and I'd bet has happened to everyone who does resto work.
If the bleached areas are REALLY noticeable you could always consider restaining the pipe. Alternately, if the bleaching isn't too significant it's possible that it will be less noticeable once you apply a wax of your choice. Also, if you are not going to wax the pipe, over time and a couple of bowls, this will be less noticeable due to the build up of oils/tars/smoke on the rim of your pipe as you smoke it.
Congrats on cleaning it up in the first place!
-- Pat

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
You probably took some of the stain off the rim. Not to worry since you can try to take natural oils from the side of your nose and rub on the pipe's rim and the pipe should darken up. Also, by smoking the rim will darken up naturally without nose oil.

smokeytay33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2013
Thanks for the response! I'll see what smoking does for it, since I have never stained nor waxed a pipe before and I am afraid I might mess it up. But, if smoking a few bowls doesn't take care of it, this would be a good pipe to try those things out on. It's pretty noticeable, and I wanted to see if this was fixable before I tried cleaning any of my other pipes.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Smoke you can get a q-tip and some Kiwi shoe polish the right color smear it on, flame it with your lighter , not long but enough to melt the polish, let it sit for a while and buff it off, temporary fix , smoking it will darken it also. If you q-tip the rim with siliva while smoking you can keep the rim clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.