PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I bought some (and no I didnlt "win" it) GLP tobacco on ebay. Two tins of Rennaissance and 2 tins of Mephisto. 75 bucks per 2 oz tin. All were stamp-dated 2003. Much to my displeasure two tins when shaken were dry as a bone. No rust was evident on the bottom or top of the tins. I peeled off the paper labeling and found there were hundred of tiny pinholes...rusted out. ACK !
One rusted out tin of Rennaisannce was completely dried out, had little if any smell and had an almost faded blueish color to it. The actual tobacco had rusty bits all over it as well. I opened a completely sealed tin to compare the two. The bad tin was not smokeable IMO.
The other rusted tin (Mephisto) was much the same..tiny pinholes of rust hiding under the wrapper. Rust had spread all through the inside and all over the tobacco. 150 bucks down the tubes. Buyer beware. Did the seller know they were compromised ? I do not know.
Anyway, on a good note, the other tins were perfect... IMO Rennaissance ( Original) is the best tobaco blend ever made. I tried the the newer limited "Reserve" and did not like it at all.
Has anyone ever exprienced this with old GLP blends. This was a first for me.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I havent. I've got some old Stonehenge tins and a couple bohemian scandal tins. The last time I opened one, I had no issue.
Maybe others have.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Those old style barrel tins were not ideal IMO. The newer style pop tops have been without issue from GLP in my experience but I had a number of the older tins rust out.Ah the joys of buying tobacco from eBay. I suggest you mix these dried out tins with a similar style blend, let sit a while and try it.That is what Rick Newcome would do. I find I have better luck with that approach than trying to rehydrate old English blends.

Mike S.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I have for the most part decided to have aged tobacco by being patient, rather than buying old tins. At least this way I know where it was sitting for the years it aged.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Really. I think I can see the interest in paying big bucks for some real old rare stuff, but it seems a big gamble. But that is part of the fun and point of it. If you are just after the smoke, I've never had anything I bought new and stored myself go south in a big way, fingers crossed.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Buyer beware. Oh well. The other tins are perfect so I'm not too rattled. I was just wondering if it was common for those older GLP tins to rust out that badly. OTOH it could have been due to poor storage location.
I bought a big tub of ERR years back and that was rusted out badly and the tobacco was toast.
I have quite a collection of old aged tobaccos and all of them get put into mason jars and dated. I don't trust tins or those ET mylar bags either. I guess I'll have to be more careful buying off ebay. Pipestud sells good vintage tobacco and he's a straight shooter but everytime I visit his webpage all the good stuff is snatched up.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes, I've run into the same issue with some 04 Haddo's and Bohemian a few years back, from ebay.
But I also got an 04 Renaissance that was perfect, however I got that from the PipeStud.
If they were stored in a humid environment, those old tins will rust over time

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I've noticed some tins have a white colored liner/coating inside. Maybe this helps deters rust. I'm almost sure it was in some of my newer GLP tins.

Jun 27, 2016
jpmcwjr
Can you claim defective tins? Of course, you weren't buying it for the tobacco....
I was thinking the same thing, but he opened them so the item is not as it was sent. Then, Ebay could also say that the buyer wanted the contents, and somehow violated their policies, and you end up banning yourself! Screwed again!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Somewhere Greg Pease himself alerted people that the original style tins (taller and thinner) had issues with holes rusting through, that you can't see because they are under the wrapper. Thus the switch to the newer (wider and shorter) tins that do not have this issue.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I bet you could run a bar magnet through that stuff and pull any rust out of it. That stuff can be freshened up and salvaged. Git Er Done!

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
The rust in both tins is very bad. The tobacco smells bad as well and is discolored with small and large pieces of rust everyhwere. I don't think I am going to try and save either tin. Lesson learned.
As far as questioning whether or not the ebay seller knew the tins were bad? I dunno. But a simple shaking of the can easily revealed the tobacco was crispy dry. I plan to contact the seller and let him know abut it...but that's as far as I'll go.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A while back, I bought a tin of a McClelland Virginia (I can't remember which one now) from a man who I thought of (up until this transaction) as a giant in the pipe smoking hobby. The tin was photographed very cleverly. The tin had holes in it maybe 1/8 inch wide. I got my money back. There was more than one tin he offered and I can only assume, the other buyer(s) got the same kind of tin. My hope is that this giant new far more about pipes than he did about storing tobacco tins, because if that is not so, this man had no honor IMHO. I would have much rather had the tin in the condition it appeared in the photos, than get my money refunded. Such is life.
Its a crap shoot.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.