PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I have not been looking real hard to find a substitute for penzance but I came across a review where one guy said that GLP quite nights tested like it and that he liked it better than Penzance.. Well I have a tiny bit of Penz so I know what that's like and I have a little bit of GLP QN given to me a few weeks ago by a friend that I had not tried till today. Have to say that the GLP QN is a little flat compared to Penz

its mising that smoothness and the spice / pepper of penz.. So what do you guys think someone could add to GLP QN to make it more like penz? Maybe an English blend with a good bit of Perique? I took what I had left of Mississippi River and the GLP QN and rubbed them together for next time to see how it tastes.. I'll le5 you know later how that turns out.
P.S.

To any newbie that wants to get an idea of what Penzance may taste like try GLP quite nights it's close just not close enough for someone who's had it before

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Ember...There are many similar threads to this one. Try using the custom search engine in the middle of "Latest Discussions" to get an overview.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Thanks Stan

Jeff I will not take no for an answer be creative . I was hoping too get you guusbto think outside the box I guess . I know Penz is good but GLP QN is not far off from the taste .. Maybe I'll jus put some ground up pepper in there lol

On past threads that had this topic, I was quick to point out that Quiet Nights didn't have the same ingredients, but as I have learned since, tastes doesn't always rely just on having the exact same ingredients. It has been a while since I have had QN, I admit, but maybe one could do a side by side comparison. It does come up enough that maybe it does taste similar. But, then for someone who doesn't smoke many latakia blends, it may just be the latakia. I'd like to see a side by side comparison.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
The pipe tobacco stockist at my b&m suggested GL Pease Lagonda as a Penzance substitute. He said the constituent tobaccos are a fairly close match. I have not sampled Lagonda myself but wanted to pass the info along. Let us know how your search goes.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
<p>Thanks Pipe and drum I will at some point get myself a tin of GLP L.. On a better note I scored a tin of Penzance this after noon

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
There is NO I REPEAT NO SUBSTITUTES for PENZANCE. If their were people would beat down the door to buy and hoard it like the original. Don't let anyone kid you or give you any false hopes.
Jon :puffpipe: :puffpipe:

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Well smoked the mix of GLP QN and SPC Mississippi river ... The MR added some sweetness to the QN all in all I liked it ... Have not opened the Penzance yet I have a tin of Bengal slices that's been sitting for a few months think I'll hit that first

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah now that you mention it, the new Bengal Slices is def in the same neighborhood. It's no substitute, but same neighborhood for certain.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I've seen where people really like that Larry's blend .. so Al let me get this right you perfer Larry's blend more than Penzance

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
so Al let me get this right you perfer Larry's blend more than Penzance
Correct. There is a particular flavor in Penzance, it seems menthoyol, or similar that I don't like. Russ O. told me once what that ingredient was, I forget the odd name. He said Larry's blend only used a small portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.