PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I received my first bag of penzance today and was curious about the bag it comes in. Can i age it in the bag just like i would a fresh tin of tobacco? do i need to jar it to age it properly? on the same note, i received two 1 pound bags of mac baren bulks (VA Flake and VCF) and it arrived in similar packaging. Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
From what I've heard if it is that thick Mylar packaging that Penzance does come in you are good to age it in the bag. When I get bags I just open them up and throw them in jars, but that's just me.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Penzance will stay in the bag fine for a couple years. Once you open it though make sure it goes into a jar. It will dry quickly otherwise. Not sure about the Mac Baren. If they are clear plastic bags, definitely jar them up.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
if you're going to age it in the bag, be damn sure the bag is not compromised. the last ET bag i got had been a bit roughed up during travel and was not air-tight. the internal plastic tray can wear against the bag and create small holes. i dumped it all into glass and tossed the bag. unless you don't have jars around, there's no good reason to age it in the bag given that there's some risk of holes (as opposed to a sealed metal tin, for example).
ymmv,

doody

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have purchased two different bags of Penzance, a bag of Stonehaven, a bag of Blackpool and one of And So To Bed. Every one of them had holes in the edges of the folds or, in the case of one Penzance bag, had clearly been cut by the box knife of whoever opened the box they were all packed in.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Wow, I've never had a compromised bag of Esoterica yet, and I've bought my share of it for sure. But we are dealing with human beings, full of faults, and so very primitive, we can't seem to get anything right. If it's built with or by humans....it will fail. :wink:

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I have had bags of Esoterica Tobaccos delivered that look like they may be compromised with what looked like small tears or pin holes.
After closer examination, what they really were are places where the yellow label had been scratched off but the bags themselves were still sealed.
No matter though as I always jar them, in the bags, as soon as I receive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.