PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
....and it's gone...a few of the less coveted blends are still available...

I was in the Briary and posted that they still had Penzance, and just as I was pulling my finger off of the "post" button the store's phone rang, someone bought it all, and then after that it rang, and rang, and rang, and rang.
Milan will probably be getting phone calls until closing.

It always makes me wonder how many lurkers we have on here that never post.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It always makes me wonder how many lurkers we have on here that never post.
Usually fewer than 1% of a forum's users contribute 80% or so of the conversation.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Maybe one of these days, when all the stars align just right, I can sample some of the famed Penzance... But probably not.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
At least Milan limits it to 1 bag per customer. I try not to judge strangers but it becomes difficult when you see someone post on Reddit that they just bought over 3 pounds of Penzance.
I'd like to at least try it to see what the fuss is about

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds like a typical one-upper Redditor actually.
Maybe we need to time these events... get an average between the sale going online and being depleted.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I have never tried this Penzance. It sounds like the next greatest thing after sliced bread. Is it really that good? What would you compare it to? NC ?

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I would compare it to Lancer's Slices, Quiet Nights, Ten to Midnight..... It is quite impressive and has a richness that is hard to replicate, but try those readily available blends and you will get a sense of it without all the pain. Before anyone tells me I don't have any perspective, I have a decent amount of Penzance, so I am not speaking out of jealousy. I have plenty and I really do like the stuff, but there are other blends that are similar.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
It's nice, guys. Tasty. But very subtle.
Truth be told, I prefer Esoterica's And So To Bed. It's a little more Lat forward to me and much, much easier to find.
At the risk of pissing off the adoring throng, I don't know what to compare it to. Way back when smokers said Balkan Sasieni and 10 to Midnight were close but I don't see that. I really enjoy BS & TTM - a lot more than I enjoy Penzance. In fact, I classify PZ in the lightweight English category alongside SG Skiff and Squadron Leader: okay smokes if nothing better is available.
Redpanda, if you enjoy NC then embrace it and live there. Maybe try some Star of the East, Magnum Opus, Larry's Blend, Montford Point Marines, Lancers Slices or - if you're a true Lat whore - pop a tin of Old Ironsides or Twelve Russians and be grateful you're not on the chase.
Fnord

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
So not to belabor the excellent points you make Fnord, but if.... Balkan Sobranie OSM spawned Our Best Blend (loose) and then Krumble Kake (flake) as an attempt to replicate some variation of BSOSM, and then Penzance was an attempt to replicate Krumble Kake..... so wouldn't other attempts to replicate BSOSM resemble the vaunted Penzance? What a family tree BSOSM has created. There are others, of course.... Balkan Sasieni, Margate, Quiet Nights, Ten to Midnight, Lancer's Slices, Fussilier's Ration, etc. Yes, yes Penzance is really good and I am glad I have some, but for those who do not - there are lots of alternatives that have some appeal.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I was able to try a few bowls a fellow forum member gave me. It definitely didn't blow me away, I don't know if it was all the hype from the forums making me expect too much, but it was indeed very subtle as fnord put it. I could see it maybe growing on you, or maybe I didn't have enough to find the right pipe, but it wasn't even in the really memorial smokes I've had. There's just too many readily available blends out there to chase it. Unless I managed to grab a bag around the 30-35$ mark I wouldn't bother getting it, it's just not worth the money for me with all the stuff available. I would agree with Fnord that it's a lightweight smoke, it definitely wasn't strong, I would put it around mild to medium.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Dare I say it, but I wonder how many PZ and KK chasers will happily transfer their allegiances to the new STP Bengal Slices when it emerges later this year. Age and dashboard stoving do a lot for Penzance - I've had batches that were unimpressive when young.
hp

les

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just my 0.02 cents worth.
Penzance is worth the chase. It is everything it claims to be and more. I also have Quiet Nights, Balkan Sobranie, Sasieni, Nightcap, Gas Light, Odyssey a few frogs. Quiet Nights is also on my 'Wow' list and would rate the enjoyment level the same as Penzance and Stonehaven, but it is not the same as either. It has it's own unique character and subtleties.

I also smoke Margate, Pembrook, And So To Bed and Woodbridge. I like Esoterica tobacco.

I enjoy them all and they are all on my personal favorite list, each with their own unique qualities.

But, that is just me. I recognize that everyone's palette is unique and different.

Status
Not open for further replies.