PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
As the title implies, this thread is about Penzance. 18+ year old Penzance to be exact.
You all may remember that back in April my son Nick and I went to the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh. While there one of the things I picked up was a pristine tin of Penzance. The older gentleman selling it knew only that it was over 10 years old and had been kept in a mason jar all of this time. (he bought it from an older gentleman that had since stopped smoking a pipe)
With the help of folks here and on other forums it was determined that the tin was a 1999 or older 2oz tin of Penzance.
Once I learned this I decided to save this lucky find for a special occasion.
Well, that special occasion was this weekend. Our baby girl, Jenni, just graduated from High School. Although she didn't have any of this incredible tobacco delight, she did sit in the mancave for a while with her brother and I when we both enjoyed our very first bowl.
I gotta tell you guys, this experience was all I had hoped it would be and more! HOLY COW is this GREAT STUFF!!!!
Having never ever smoked Penzance before, I didn't have anything to base our experience off of, as it relates to whether or not this was typical of all tins of Penzance or if somehow, the fact that it was 18 or 20 years old?
I'm obviously not a tobacco reviewer, but I can tell you that the flavor of this was much richer and fuller than the Margate I've been smoking for the last several months.
Don't get me wrong, I love Margate, but after experiencing Penzance this evening, Margate is a distant second. :)
What pipe, you may be asking yourself, did you give the honor of facilitating this nirvana moment?
Why, the beautiful Yacht sitting in my pipe rack of course...

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Being with your kids and celebrating the occasion with a nearly 20 year old tin of 'zance probably heightened the experience. I can only imagine. Being that it's a solid blend fresh(though many here may object, that's their opinion). Congrats to daughter! Was the tobacco covered in plume? I just opened a tin recently that was caked in it?

Jun 27, 2016
Sounds like a good time, and I can think of Margate as "Penzance Light" at the closest, especially if the 'zance has a couple of years on it. I'll say that you can't get the tongue lacquer that the 'zance gives you, from Margate. I found that the 'zance changes a lot between fresh, and two/three years of age, and five/six years of age, which are what I have had. I think that it's good to try some with different ages on them, including fresh, if given the chance. :puffy:

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I love Penzance too. I had four tins, around ten years old, so probably not all that different from yours. I was keeping them for a special occasion that somehow never arrived. A member of this forum pointed out that none of us are guaranteed to be here tomorrow so I may as well open a tin - which I did! I am just coming to the end of it. I retire in January next year, and will open another tin then. It's magic.
Mike

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Embers,
This yacht is one of my all time favorites. It's not the most expensive or oldest or rarest. But it is arguably one of the prettiest.
I picked it up as part of an estate lot. The seller, a widow, and her daughter met me in the grocery store parking lot of a neighboring town. The daughter drove her mom to meet me because her mom's car was in the shop.
Sweet lady that was selling 8 pipes, a 6 pipe stand and miscellaneous accessories. She had it on CL for $15 o.b.o.
After talking to her on the phone I told her I'd pay $30 sight unseen.
When she showed up and took the box of pipes and gear out of her daughters trunk I could immediately see that every one of the pipes had chipped, chewed or broken stems. I was kind of regretting my offer. But stuck to it, especially after seeing that this lady could definitely use it.
The yacht was in the worse shape of all of them. The stem was broken @ the button and the toe of the stummel had a big chip out of the right side when viewing it from the stem side.
I tried unsuccessfully to reconstruct the stem using black superglue. It was a disaster. So I concentrated my efforts on the stummel.
The stummel had a really funky laquer of some sort on it and looked terrible. So before I spent any time on the chip I decided to strip it and see what the grain was like.
Wow! What a beautiful grain pattern this pipe had. I spent many many hours sanding the chip out of the toe of this pipe and then shaping the opposite side of the stummel to match. I took it slow being as I didn't want to lose the character of the pipe.
Now I know what some of you are thinking... All of this trouble for a $4 or $5 dollar pipe? And you're probably right.
Anyway, after gettin the stummel lookin ship shape (see what I did there?) I sent it off, with it's destroyed stem, to Ric Farrah @ Briarville.
A few weeks later I got it back and these are the photos I took after opening the box and mating the stem to the pipe...

Now I know that there are a lot of you out there probably thinkin.... "yadda, yadda, yadda... What the hell does all of this have to do with Penzance!?!?!" Nothin, except that yesterday I was able to enjoy the best bowl of tobacco I've ever had, in my all time favorite briar.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sounds like you had an amazing experience. That pipe looks great.
I love Penzance and I've got a bunch stocked up. I have to say it's just as good fresh as it is with a few years on it.
Also I noticed with mine that it develops a ton of Bloom or Plume very very quickly. Faster than any other tobacco I've owned.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I understand this stuff already sees some significant age or an aging process before it hits the shelves, right? I know all tobacco is aged before released into the wild, I'm not alluding to that. It just seems a fresh tin of Penzance has already seen some significant time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This yacht is one of my all time favorites.
One of my favorites as well!
img_20170612_0128561-418x600.jpg

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Ok Embers...
Now you gone done and did it!
Just when I think I'm gonna take a break from stockin my modest cellar, recently acquired enough Margate, Dorchester and Penzance to get me through the year, you got me to realize that not only do I not have any Virginia Flake, of any make, I've never tried it.
So, which obtainable brand out there is a "Must Have" ?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Bonanza:
You wrote:
Now I know what some of you are thinking... All of this trouble for a $4 or $5 dollar pipe? And you're probably right.
Ask a couple of questions first.
1. Did you enjoy the recovery process?

2. Learn anything new?

3. Are you proud of what you accomplished?
A yes to just one of the above is a win. That you helped out a lady who could've used the cash is a double tap plus you gave her some dignity instead of a handout.
You scored, brother.
Fnord

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A good one to start with would be Newminster's Superior Navy Flake. Very inexpensive and tasty. Others:

Sutliff Virginia Slices

Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Rattray's Marlin Flake

Orlik Golden Slices

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
I was just teasing about the Penzance. I smoke it from time to time, but I like fold and stuff flakes in the 904's conical bowl.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Congratulations with regards to the graduation, thats got to be a good fatherly feeling. Glad you enjoyed the tin, and hope you get many more smokes out of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.