PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Having never tried any Esoterica blends, since only Pembroke is left, is it well advised to try this one as my first? I was hoping for Penzance or Margate. And are they really that much better than nightcap or star or the east? Or dear and departed old frog Morton?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The Esoterica tobaccos are neither better or worse than the dearly departed McClellands. They are just different. Most folks will prefer one over the other, but it's not like comparing the quality of #2 pencils. I prefer McClellands, but enjoy the differences in the Esoterica blends, and smoke them as well. As for Dunhill blends, yes. Both McClelland and Esoterica are, in my opinion, better blends.
I see no advantage of trying one Esoterica blend as your first over another.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, they are all better than NC, etc., but that's just one opinion.
I love Margate and like Penzance, but Pembroke did not do it for me. I would let it air out a lot to try to dampen the cognac whiffing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Better? No. Different? Yes. Every blender has it's own style. Part of the allure with Esoterica is its lack of availability. Germain's makes some of my favorite blends, and some of my least favorite. I don't like Penzance and their Balkan Sobranie tastes to me like how I imagine gasoline soaked manure would smell. If you're exploring English blends, try some of the GL Pease, Peretti, Rattray, C&D, and Wilke blends. They're also a high quality product and easier to find. They won't be the same as Germain's. They'll have their own style.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Hmmm ... I just don’t like cognac , in a glass even .
So why it’s a topping I dunno , sounds like snob appeal to me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I happen to like Pembroke better than Margate, so I guess I'm a snob. :nana: Not a huge Penzance fan but it's ok. I would like to try Stonehaven sometime, but I'm not falling all over myself trying to get it. I also like Blackpool, but I think that it's more polarizing than many of their other blends.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I happen to like Pembroke better than Margate, so I guess I'm a snob. :nana: Not a huge Penzance fan but it's ok. I would like to try Stonehaven sometime, but I'm not falling all over myself trying to get it. I also like Blackpool, but I think that it's more polarizing than many of their other blends.
My thoughts as well though I've tried Stonehaven and after one bowl I had to give it away.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Yeah it seems to me the esoterica has more snob appeal than cognac. I don't think any type of alchohol is snobby, it's the person drinking them that's snobby or not. We assign subjective associations to things but that's within our own minds.

I do think however that the scarcity makes ppl think esoterica is better than it is but I'll have to try and report back.

Even when I smoke Dunhill before I light up somewhere in my mind there's a thought that this is good stuff and it gonna be good before I even have it. So the power of suggestion is a factor for sure..

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Of the Esoterica blends, Pembroke is my favorite. I love the English (latakia) with a touch of cognac. Don't tell Chasing Embers but it reminds me of Black Frigate and Sixpence.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Pembroke is Margate with cognac? I liked it but only smoked it for a year or two. Another one of the blends that I forgot about or was lost in the shuffle.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I don't smoke fast enough; this is a thread where I haven't smoked any of these blends. I have to admit, while I have my preferences on taste, I also chalk up a few points for a blend that is maintained in good supply, widely distributed, and therefore generally available. I like an exotic blend now and then with the understanding I won't be hunting down any more.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Maybe they still have some Dorchbroke?
2v2JNJgo3x3L6Bn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.