PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
After listening to the podcast on Perique and reading numerous posts I am interested in sampling a Perique blend. What are your recommendations for a Perique or VaPer and how would you describe the taste to someone who has never had some? Thank you in advance.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I've tried Deluxe Navy Rolls, on the advice of the fine people here, as well as Elizabethan Mixture, both by Dunhill. The consensus seems to be that DNR is identical to Escudo, and if so, either DNR or Escudo is a great place to start.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
The only blend I like that has a healthy dose of Perique in it, IMO, is Frog Morton On The Bayou. It gives it some spice, in an odd but kinda nice way, at least to my taste. I've had several Va/Per's and didn't really care that much for them, but hey, everybody's tastes are different!

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ samcoffeeman; I have not yet tried a straight Virginia yet. Maybe I should start there. I have seen the Luxury Bullseye at a local B&M. I will give it a go.
@ roth; I, as always look forward to your input. Being new I try to gather information from a variety of sources. I have learned a great deal from the "show" and the processing for Perique sounded very interesting. The only blend I can say for sure that had Perique as a condiment is "Fox and Hound" by Sutliff. I could not identify the taste if my life depended on it, but I personally like the blend.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ roth; Any and all input is appreciated. Always!
@ blueeyedog; It has been added to the list. Thank you.
@ pete; I was just discussing the Frog Morton blends with sparrowhawk this afternoon. Unfortunately for instant gratification, none of my local B&M's in my area carry any McClelland. I might have to roll the dice and go internet. Thanks.
Just for information, I would probably prefer plum note to peppery. Not that they are related, but I like Plumcake and Erinmore tastes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
craig, my recommendation would be to grab a tin of Escudo or Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls( I find this to be sweeter and less peppery than Escudo) and a tin of Solani 633. The Solani has a top note of honey which I find very tasty. When I describe a vaper, I say sweet and spicy. It reminds me of when I mix duck sauce with good Chinese hot mustard at a Chinese restaurant.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
It reminds me of when I mix duck sauce with good Chinese hot mustard at a Chinese restaurant.
I hope you mean the "good" brown mustard and not the girly yellow crap they have in the packets. The Solani 633 sounds like a winner.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Try McClelland Beacon Extra.
You can tell I haven't had my supper yet - I read that as "McClelland Extra Bacon" and wondered why the hell anyone would make bacon flavored tobacco :rofl:

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
You can tell I haven't had my supper yet - I read that as "McClelland Extra Bacon" and wondered why the hell anyone would make bacon flavored tobacco [:rofl:]
I did a double take too the first read. Could have potential though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
craig,I did indeed mean the good hot brown mustard that makes your eyes water and not that swill they have in the plastic packages. That stuff is an affront to humanity and any restaurant who uses it should be put out of business.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Hey Roth, just curious why you find Brian off putting? Ive only listened to one or two and i do agree he is a terrible interviewer.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ Harris; Whenever I go to get take out from our local place I always ask for the hot mustard. When the girl points to the plastic bin full of the yellow crap I say "no, I want the good stuff you have behind you in the fridge." They seem to only give it out on request, but at least they do have it. We also keep our own jar in the fridge just in case.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bah go right for the big boys! Samuel Gawith (SG)- Full Virginia Flake (FVF) and it's big brother Saint James Flake (SJF). They take a lot of extra work, but it's worth it. Cut your teeth on some Escudo its easy to pack and smoke. You'll find many threads on how to tackle the SG's :puffpipe:
Craig

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ roth and ole; In defense of the radio show, as a newcomer to this hobby I found this site. This site led me to download all the podcasts (58 at the time). I travel a lot on the highway during the day and it was a perfect way to pass the time. The beginning shows had some issues with sound and quality, but listening to them one after another I could see the progress in improvement. I did learn a lot about pipes, tobacco and pipe educate.Many times Brian would say that this is his opinion and that he is the leading expert in his opinion. Maybe to the experienced piper, the show could seem a little off putting, but to the novice it is a great way to capture the interest of the newbee. Kevin and Brian have done the pipe community a great service with this show and they keep improving by the week. I will give you the fact that not every show is a winner, but when you listen to 58 in a row you have to come away with something. And I did. Thanks Kevin and Brian for what you have done for this hobby.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
@ Craig; Unfortunately my dream tobacco cellar is way to big for my wallet. I am a sucker for instant gratification and every time I go into the B&M I buy something that could have been an online order of the many many recommendations I have read here. Come on Powerball!

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
I'm a new pipe smoker too and I just finished off a tin of Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls. The best stuff I have ever smoked by far!!! There are other great smokes but this one tops em all, I think its the Perique. Got some Escudo lined up to give a try too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
craig, the place that I get take out delivered is the same say. I tell them to make sure i get the home made mustard and not the crap in packages. The place that I take the family to eat out at only has the good stuff, as they have authentic Hong Kong style Cantonese cuisine.
I think the show is great and Brian does a hell of a job. Do I agree with his opinions all the time, no but he is a wealth of info on many subjects. One of his earlier shows was about stem design and the inner workings of a stem and that for me was an epiphany and very helpful. No he is not a professional interviewer, but he is still worth listening to in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.