PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I should have seen it coming . . . my wife never complains about my pipes, TAD or in-house smoking. Saturday was the official 'payback" day.
We collect antiques and love the 20's and 30's stuff. Sure enough, my wife found a 1930's mohair sofa on craigslist located in the worst part of Seattle possible. The price was a give-away, so off we went in the farm truck, looking like country bumpkins going to the big city.
Driving a disel truck through the narrow streets of Seattle isn't fun, especially when you're listening for gunshots (I'm not kidding, it was in a REALLY bad of neighborhood). We found the address eventually, and the guy was a great guy. We paid the man, loaded the sofa that weights 300 lbs, and is going to cost about $2000 to re-cover, into the truck.
After we were out of Seattle, I thought it was safe to mention that I was carrying (did I mention it was in a REALLY, REALLY bad neighborhood???). My wife smiled and informed me that she was carrying also, guess that dumb blonde thing doesn't apply to her.
The sofa is now residing in my shop waiting for the upholstery material decision - books of that stuff are everywhere. My wife smiles everytime she thinks about our "adventure" - it was a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad neighborhood.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Aren't those moments the most memorable? The times we face danger and unsurety always stick in our minds and may even elicit an adrenaline reponse well after the time it happened. Many moons ago, I found myself and my best friend completely lost in south St Louis. Two young, white, blonde haired, blue-eyed kids ... in south St Louis.

Well, we kept our cool and pulled up into a convenient mart. There were bars on all the windows and an extra steel security door on the front. My buddy stayed with the car, doors locked, while I entered the store. As soon as I walked in the door, all motion stopped. Three guys were just staring at me in disbelief and one of them finally spoke. He said, "Youz boyzez ahh lost, huh?" ...huge Cheshire Cat grin now forming on his face. Next, he pulled out a pad of paper and pen and wrote directions back to the interstate for me. They all had a good laugh at my expense and sent us back on our way. That moment in time always brings back a certain feeling of ...WHEW!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I know what you mean! I've been in a few rough places myself, and was glad to be packing while I was there! I live in a smallish town, and in a good neighborhood, but I just don't trust people! I might be a little paranoid, but I don't think that's as bad as being completely naive.

By the way, any time I step foot outside my house, I have a firearm with me! It's like an American Express, I never leave home without one!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
it was a REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad neighborhood.
I guess things really have changed - back when I lived in the area, the REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad neighborhoods were all in Tacoma. :nana:

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Tacoma still has them, but Seattle has them too. There are shootings in Pioneer Square all the time.
Frankly, the only place in Tacoma I will go to is Hosmer Street to the Tinderbox and downtown to the County City Building for my gun permit. Seattle is usually only a once a year thing to go to the 5th Avenue Theatre.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
HOW BAD WAS THE NEIGHBORHOOD?
It was so bad that:
... even my dog had his house repossessed

... only pigeons can made deposits on new cars

... cats are being considered as the other white meat

... valet parking means they will guard your shopping cart while you raid the dumpster

... job security is a gun and a ski mask
LOL! I miss ole Johnny and Ed!! :rofl:

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I was carrying

Smart move. I live in NJ, where the only people allowed to carry are the police and criminals.
It sounds like you made a good find with the couch. I love antiques, particularly when I can make use of them. Best of luck with the couch.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Seattle? Bad neighborhood?? C'mon, there are no bad neighborhoods in the Emerald City!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The sofa is now residing in my shop waiting for the upholstery material decision ...

Cool. Now you'll have a nice place to sit and smoke your pipe.

It's only fair after all the dangers you risked.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
That is a smart woman, plateau. I knew I'd hit the jackpot when I took Momma on our first date. Trap shooting. And she decided our second date was gonna be a gun show because she needed a 12ga like my Benelli!
Although, you had me scared that you were gonna be sent to the garage so the new, old, couch wouldn't be exposed to your pipe!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
My wife was an only child, and her dad decided she was going to be well-rounded - quite advanced thinking for the 50's. She has handled guns since she was 8 years old and is a great shot. When we were married, she came with her own pistol and shotgun.
I have a feeling that West Coast "bad" is not up to the same rating as East Coast "bad". When I told the guys at work where we'd been they asked if insanity ran in our family, so West Coast is bad enough for me.
The first batch of upholstery books went back to the shop - not right - and a second batch of books are all over the livingroom floor. This might be a long process since it has to be period correct, high quality, and priced right. As long as she's happy, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.