PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Greetings All:
After time off in the Winter, we are going to revive the Pax Tobacco Crawl the first week of April. I'm happy to announce that the April crawl will be guided by Master Blender Russ Oullette. Russ will choose his four favorite blends and we will smoke one blend a week, starting April 3rd. Russ will tell us what he likes about his picks and will field questions and drop by occasionally as the crawl progresses.
As a special bonus, Russ is looking at promotion options with Pipes and Cigars and is trying to put together a special exclusive package for Tobacco Crawl participants. Further details are coming soon.
For those who have yet to participate in one of our Tobacco Crawls, details can be found here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-first-pax-virtual-tobacco-crawl-virginia-burleys
Check out the Russ Oullette Tobacco University here:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/faq/article/137/russ-ouellettes-tobacco-university
If you would like to participate, just reply to this thread.
Thanks.
Pax

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
April isn't usually great smoking weather here in Denver. Early April could be nice or there could be a blizzard, you never know. Either way, I'll be in for this.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I'm in for any of the non-aro selections (or any aro's that don't have PG).

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I only smoke about once a week anyway, so not entirely sure whether I'll be able to fully participate - but I'll definitely be curious to see which blends make the cut, even if it takes me until September to acquire and test them all... :D

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I only smoke about once a week anyway, so not entirely sure whether I'll be able to fully participate - but I'll definitely be curious to see which blends make the cut, even if it takes me until September to acquire and test them all...
For any that only smoke a couple bowls a week, I have a proposal. If you want we can group up, buy tins or enough bulk for each of our smoking habits and split them. I have no problem overseeing this if others are interested.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thanks for the offer. CmdrMcBragg has been the Tobacco Crawl TinMaster in the past. Let's see how it goes. He may want to pass the torch. Pax

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
For any that only smoke a couple bowls a week
Just to be clear - I'm not worried about acquiring the tobaccos. I just don't feel that only smoking a bowl or two of a given blend is enough to really give it a fair shake - I'm still working on the Bjarne Viking series tins that I started in on back in December, and I've only just now gotten enough data on Eric the Red to do what I would consider a reasonably fair review.
I mean, I can talk about my experience with that particular bowl of tobacco, but it's only one very small data point... :D

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Sounds fun.
If Russ reads this, have you ever thought of writing a book (maybe ebook) on your blending process? Describing the process of creating a blend from scratch, start to finish. How do you start, how do you decide what tobaccos to use? How do you create a new blend that while different from other blends on the market, would still appeal to a mass market customer base, and isn't just a matter of arbitrarily throwing unique stuff in the blend just to be "different"? Stuff like that. Even if it was too inside baseball I think many people would be interested in it.
I know your time is limited (http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-lifestyle/creation-mode/) so I hope I didn't make more work for you.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Funny you should ask. One of the things I've been working on is just such a book. I have a contract to have it published. I hope to have it finished by summer.
Russ

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I would like an autographed copy Russ just saying. Had a conversation today and with the pipe tobacco business the way it is I am very thankful for you and everyone at p&c and everything you guys do.

Status
Not open for further replies.