Here is an interesting one.
What do you all think?
18524419-orig.jpg

18524420-orig.jpg

18524423-orig.jpg

18524422-orig.jpg

18524427-orig.jpg

18524425-orig.jpg

I have many questions, so if you have any ideas, I do appreciate you sharing your Dunhill knowledge concerning this pipe.
Thank you,

Don

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's a Vernon Tenon patent no. So, screw it back together after cleaning out the shank. Maybe gunk has clogged it from pulling apart.
Scroll down to Vernon Patent
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/dunhill/patent2.html

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
No screw, the stem just slides over the little protrusion out of the shank. Pipe cleaner goes straight through to the bottom of the bowl, no scoop end visible at drought hole.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The stamp is referenced here
http://loringpage.com/pipearticles/Hypothetical%20WWII%20Pipe.htm

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I did a very gentle clean on this so far, there is still lava residue on the rim that I want to remove.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy, but over the years I've come to rely on foggymountain for my Dunhill lore, and though he owns many Dunhills, he does not recommend the Shell or Cumberland series, so I pass that along. foggy' sold Dunhills and the then-more-expensive Kaywoodies at a pipe shop on Manhattan in his teens in the 1950's.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Mso, I may be out of line here, and I’ll humbly submit to the enhanced knowledge of whomever may have it, but I think the idea that certain stains on a Dunhill mar its smokability is absurd. I too have read Foggy’s statements, and while he is definitely a respected member here, and quite a Dunhill database, his opinions regarding certain finishes and their downfalls scientifically do not hold much weight in my opinion, and I don’t think it is good for others who don’t have the same experience as him to pass that opinion on to new smokers. I have owned and smoked almost every line of finish from Dunhill, and I have found them all to be most pleasant. Now, that’s my opinion vs. Foggy’s, so I welcome everyone to do with that what they want...but I do think it isn’t good of us to put something down which we ourselves have not had problems with. Does that seem valid?

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
More importantly and on-topic, that is a SHARP pipe. I’ve never seen that kind of tenon fixture, so I’m guessing it’s either a very professionally-butchered Vernon tenon, or it’s a very well-done repair to reinforce the shank. Hard to say without examining the pipe in person. Beautiful pipe, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.