PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, I don't use patches often because I don't like their inconsistent durability and I HATE nasty surprises as a categorical thing. The existing damage (volume of missing material, depth, surface area, whether there is "bridging" or not, etc.), together with the variability of a smoker's tooth arrangement and bite strength, makes how long a patch will last a crap shoot.
I understand that many people are OK with throwing those dice, though, for a number of reasons. I have no problem with that at all.
So, Stem Patcher Gamblers, here you go. The Secret Sauce you've been looking for. Other stuff works, but not nearly as well:
https://www.amazon.com/655-8-Pre-Thickened-Part-Epoxy-Adhesive/dp/B00LWKFZJ8/ref=pd_sim_200_3?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00LWKFZJ8&pd_rd_r=8V31KR81WDWRRED866WK&pd_rd_w=q4IHu&pd_rd_wg=N2XnY&psc=1&refRID=8V31KR81WDWRRED866WK
https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-3201A06-Pigment-Coating/dp/B003L0XE0E/ref=sr_1_3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1475617340&sr=1-3&keywords=epoxy%2Bpigment%2Bblack&th=1

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I would opt to replace the stem rather than use a chemical compound, just saying
You realize that pipe stems are already a chemical compound, right? :lol:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's why I did this. The other thread morphed into a primer on posting images.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
George, I just put that stuff in my cart at Amazonium. Thank you. I was using toughened black super glue BUT I'm always looking for a better mousetrap.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
George, I just put that stuff in my cart at Amazonium. Thank you. I was using toughened black super glue BUT I'm always looking for a better mousetrap.
Excellentez!
Be sure to store the epoxy in your fridge. It will last MUCH longer than when kept at room temp (don't worry, it mixes fine when cold). Also, follow the label directions to the letter for both it and the pigment.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Pagan, I'm a total rookie when it comes to resto, but I follow the RebornPipes blog and have summoned the courage to go forward with several repairs that have been highly rewarding. I've saved several pipes and completely enhanced others. Totally worth the dive, IMHO.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As an example, this is a HORN stem I'm working on. This is clear Thickened Super Glue that I started an hour before this thread. It's a complete crapshoot, BUT I gave $15 for this pipe because of the stem damage. Its a challenge, its an experiment, but its also just a $15 pipe. If I can save it I'm good, if its a disaster its a learning experience.
I don't like stasis, it weirds me out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been using the black super glue (Stew Mac product) for a few years, but it does have its limitations. Even mixed with charcoal or even ash, it still polishes a little shinier than the vulcanite.
George, that material sounds interesting. Can you share any pictures of a repair using this product?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I follow the RebornPipes blog and have summoned the courage to go forward with several repairs that have been highly rewarding.
Great, Im not quite there yet, still working on cleaning and sanitizing process to a smokeable condition, recently moved on to buf and waxing the bowl, someday I will graduate to stem work, just not there yet

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thanks for the skinny, George. Would the epoxy be also a good shot for trying to reattach a tenon that snapped cleanly off near the base?

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
George, have you tried something like this? This stuff has worked wonders on fixing some of my chewed up stems and you cannot even tell it is there. Only caveat is that you cannot put it in hidden cracks as the UV light needs to get to it to harden.
www.amazon.com/Second-Fix-Liquid-Plastic-Welding/dp/B016MB0JF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475681177&sr=8-1&keywords=uv+glue+pen

Status
Not open for further replies.