PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I managed to snag this off eBay, if you remember my other posting at the beginning of this week. It arrived safely today. No "before" pics as the outside did not need any work other than a quick rub down with vodka and some Brebbia stem polish on the stem followed by a rub down with coconut butter and olive oil.
The inside of the bowl was a different story. Even though looking at the stem it wasn't smoked much, the bowl looked like the person just dumped the ashes and kept loading. There was about 2mm of cake throughout the bowl which took 8 vodka-soaked cotton balls, pipe knife, gun patches, shotgun brush and half a scouring pad in sheets to remove.
Two hours later Papa was ready to be smoked.
Here are pictures taken before loading
009-1.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Close-ups of the bowl markings
014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

I loaded a bowl full of 4noggins Rincon de la Pipa #1, put my daughter in the stroller and we went for a smoke around the apartment complex. We had a good time and the smoke was absolutely awesome.
After which, Papa Pete went to rest next to Baby Pete
016-1.jpg

Overall, a good solid pipe for what I paid for it ( $60 delivered ).

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Thanks guys !
One thing struck me, and I forgot to take pictures of or post it, this guy has FIVE little fills, most I have ever seen on a Pete. I know it's purely cosmetic but .....

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
what would make a "great" pete? Im curious now...I was considering getting the saint patricks day 999 from them and the silver dublin 80s bull dog...but if the quality isn't up to par on something I can get a better quality pipe for the same amount of money...

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
petes have gone down hill in quality
Like dave said, cosmetics on entry level pipes. Looking at the markings this is probably made in the mid to late 70's ( help us out dave ), there's no "going down hill". If I were to give it a good wax job then the fills will even out and not be seen.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
what would make a "great" pete
Smoking characteristics coupled with the unique look. I have 6 Petes, one came as new old stock from eBay ( a few years old with the green rainjacket bag, one was personally bought by me new from P&C for my birthday in June of this year and is of the latest crop with the velvety bag, the other 4 are estates. They all have straight centered bowl airways with proper flow, center drilled stems etc. Each and every one is a pleasure to smoke and they have "the look".
I have also scoped out more entry-level ( Aran, Donegal and Kapet ) Petes that the overpriced ( they have Kapets for $100 ) B&M here in town sells and they share the same characteristics.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Dave, to settle an issue that was raised in another thread here, didn't Peterson abandon the "made in the Republic of Ireland" stamping around the time when the EU came into reality in 1999 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.