PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
$34.99 for four tins from a lengthy list. That's $8.75 a tin, or about like their 20% sales.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/specials/pick-group/byoc-tins/

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I REALLY don't need any more tobacco but the prospect of getting things like Bengal Slices and John Cotton's for a few bucks off is tempting. But NO, I will save my money for the Chicago Pipe Show. I will... I must...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
$140 for four tins of Royal Yacht (and twelve tins of red shirts) sounds like a good deal to me.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Can I get C&D Small Batch-The Beast? Four please, No? If not, I'll make the authentic Rumper via bunker room.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If we're lucky, it will become a C&D regular offering... at the altar made of bones, no doubt!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Just took advantage of this deal to get Nightcap, one of my favorites and three blends I have not yet tried. Bengal Slices, Sixpence and Virginia #1. Tins, I find, are generally better quality more consistently than bulk. Can't wait to try these. :)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'll suggest that the tinned tobaccos are over rated above several bulks available. Try some bulk OJK or Billy Budd and then tell me tins are better than bulks.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Try some bulk OJK or Billy Budd and then tell me tins are better than bulks.
That "newbroom" guy raises a good point: the question of tin versus bulk varies with the tobacco.
OJK is a rough customer that basically belongs in a burlap sack, preferably next to a few boxes of ammunition and a whip.
But Nightcap? Not a fragile snowflake angel, but also a somewhat delicate flavor. I like the bulk and tin, but the tin has a bit more spark and spice to it.
Now, I wish that Irish Flake, Burley Flake #1, Cotton Boll Twist and Five Brothers came in bulk... but I don't feel the same way about La Brumeuse, which probably should arrive in geocaches in the distant forest only.
I am really glad Irish Oak comes in bulk. Delicious stuff. Doesn't taste like potatoes, whisky or sheep at all.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
newbroom - I have no doubt you make a good point. I have tried Nightcap in the tin AND bulk a few times and the bulk is inconsistent and does not taste as good to me. But, I still buy it in bulk due to the price. When I get the chance to buy OJK and Billy Bud in tin AND bulk, I will do so. They are on my list to get, but Billy Bud tins were out of stock on this deal last night. I'm not trying to be a snob, I just can't afford tins all the time and can only go by what I have tried so far. I keep hearing good things about OJK and BB, and now since you recommend them as well, they just went up a notch on my "to get" list.
(edit) deathmetal - I wondered how much of the tin/bulk difference depended on blend. I think you got it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wondered how much of the tin/bulk difference depended on blend.
I may prefer the (glorious, fantastic) My Mixture 965 in bulk, but I don't know why yet. It has more of the nutty and vegetable taste (?) in the bulk, as if the spicy smoked flavor took a backseat.

Status
Not open for further replies.