PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The tin note is heavenly. I smell the caramels, a little apple, sort of reminds me of making a caramel apple on Halloween. Exactly what I hoped for. At first light, I was a little worried because I tasted some bitterness, like I bit the core of that apple, but my fears were soon alleviated. It lit to a fine embers and after no more than 5 minutes, the great taste and aroma of cinnamon and green apples came through and slowly intensified as I smoked. The middle of the bowl OS the sweet spot but the finish, though warm and tart is pleasant and the room note will be sure to peak the interest of bystanders. It is a.bit wet but a week in a jar should cure that. I totally reccommend it!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I just tried my first bowl from my big order from P&C that came yesterday. Let me say, WOW. In case you missed that exclamation WOOOW. The tin note is a slightly chocolate fruit smell, almost raisins. Don't let this put you off, it is very nice.
The charing light was a hint of sugar with a little bitter. So I went right into a long drawing burn light. The sugar exploded and the apple came right to the front. The warm caramel was under the sugar on the tongue. I pulled hard on it to get it to burn down into the bowl. No bite at all. This bears repeating as I pulled hard and often to get all the taste I could, it did not bite me once. The taste, yes taste not just smoke induced smell/taste was a joy. Caramel was all over the palate with apple, cinnamon sugar mixed in and a slight bread taste. Very few blends taste for me but this one was all it sounded like. Half way into the bowl everything blended into pie. I was stoking the coal just to get more. The end was a merry blend of a wood fired stove baking an apple pie. For me this was even better than the Peach Cobbler I liked so much. It burned down to a light ash and wasn't goopy at all. I got a little gurgle near the end but, I am sure that was from me pulling so hard on the smoke.
I am calling Heather right now to get a pound before everybody makes it a back-order. :puffy:
Get some, really!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I smoked it pretty fast, too and didn't have a problem with goop. Its sweetness was about on par with 1-Q and not as strong as Creme Brulee. On the first char, it was barely detectable but it really came out in spades in the middle of the smoke. The only yime it threatened to burn was toward the end, but I it held on without burning even though I was fast-puffing unconsciously because it was chilly outside and trying to write.
I just plunked down an order for half a pound, myself.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It was designed to be a mild, good smelling all-day smoker by the designer and I think it will serve well in that role. I had it, a bag og creme brulee and a bag of Altadis Honey 206 in my backpack last night and it made everything I put in there smell awesome!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Just tried it in a MM cob. The sweetness really comes out and there's not so much bitterness at the start. In addition, the caramels really show at the end. A cob is a great way to enjoy this blend!

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I'm a fan of Middletons Apple... this sounds awesome!! Thx for a great review! (I gotta start writing these baccy names down!)

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I know! You need a spreadsheet to keep track of it all!
Right!! Would probably help me avoid the fast food line stare when I'm at the B&M! "Can I help you?" "Uuuuuuuuuh uuuuuuummm, uuuuuuuuuhh??!!" LOL

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I just tried it in my Kaywoodie and I am awed at how dry it smokes. The Kay is a bit of a goop collector because of the stinger and I found none! It may be drier even than my jar of 1-Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.