Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just went to P&C's site to check on their Esoterica bags in stock and was shocked to see the prices are now $49.95 a bag. That's double what they were last week. Nobody else I know has done this.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Looks like they got a shipment in. My guess is their costs went up so they had to pass it along. Guess I should have called in and back ordered a few extra bags last week as I planned and forgot. Oh well...

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Well, smokingpipes.com may have just earned more of my business. I have been pleased with my service from P&C, but hate to see that. If their cost went up I can understand it, but since SP prices are the same I doubt that. If their cost has not gone up and this is just because it sells so easy then I find it completely distasteful. I've paid less than that from B&M's. Tax and shipping included for a single 8oz bag a member graciously picked up for me. Would really like to know their reason for this change.

B

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I saw this change coming on before they got their new shipment in. I noticed the price had jumped with no sale price posted. I sent them an email to which I am awaiting their response. These blends can still be found at many other retailers for $23-$35 for 8 oz. As much as I give P&C business there's no way I'm paying double the going rate of other vendors.
I really hope they didn't jack up the price only because it sells out so quickly. If they did the math, they are now charging more for an 8 oz bag than if they were to have 5 - 2 oz tins in stock. Go figure.

Dec 24, 2012
May be an error. They still have the 2 oz tins at a price of $9.33 (though none currently in stock). Hard to believe the tins would be way cheaper than the bags on a per oz basis.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
SmokingPipes has a few blends still in stock at $23 for 8oz. Not that I'm interested in any at this point, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay $45 for any of those blends. Sounds like they figured out that those blends are in high demand and know that people pay outrageous prices on ebay, so why not raise the prices.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have no qualms with pipesandcigars if they think that they can get $50 a bag for Esoterica. I'm curious as to why they raised the price and whether other sellers will do the same.

Dec 24, 2012
$50 is probably the right price for most of the high demand blends (certainly for Stonehaven and Penzance). It's already to the point where a large portion of the Stonehaven and Penzance that dealers receive don't even make it for sale through the regular channels - many of the dealers sell it on the side (or on ebay or "consignment") for much higher prices than the "ordinary" prices. This seems to have gotten even worse in recent months.
And to be honest, if I could get Stonehaven or Penzance for $50 a bag, I would order 10 of each right now. That's only $6.25 an ounce.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Just spoke with a Customer Sevice rep. Said "they must've raised the price on us so we had to pass it along."
Just seems odd that nowhere else raised prices and this happened right before they got 7 blends in stock...

Dec 24, 2012
Well, if Esoterica has raised their prices I would be less miffed. At a retail price of $25, how much does Esoterica get? I have no idea what the markup is on their blends. For the sake of argument, lets say Esoterica was selling it for $15 a bag. If I was Esoterica and making $15 a bag for Stonehaven or Penzance, I would be a little miffed to see my retailers selling it through unconventional channels for $100 a bag or more. It doesn't take a Rhodes scholar to know that this has been happening. I would want some of that profit spread if I was Esoterica.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That bothers the crap out of me. I had seen a place in Connecticut trying to sell them for 100.
That's just price gouging and it's despicable. I'm hoping that's just a mistake on p&c's part.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
One expects to see a slight price increase in B&M stores, but I found tins of Old Dark Fired being sold for $27.00 next to tins of Peterson blends going for $12.00. Supply and demand, and whatever the market will bear. If it is a cost issue, fine, but if it is profiteering, the only solution is not to buy at those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.