Pairing War Horse by Standard Tobacco Co.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Those of you who have a sample left, try your War Horse ready rubbed with a strong coffee, tell me if your experience matches mine.
I've got this new fascination with "palate" going on ever since the new winery underneath my office opened this summer. I never considered "balancing the palate" as anything more than taste. I didn't grasp the complexity of what's going on in the mouth. For me, balance was simply a matter of knowing "this has too much garlic than I like," or, "This needs more salt."
On its own, this new version of War Horse (I have no experience with the original) rolls a low-lying flavor over your mouth. It enters your mouth and then oozes slowly forth, wanting under your tongue, searching along your gums. It falls into your mouth and settles. That's nice.
I drink my coffee so strong it's almost the same. But it spreads from the top of my palate down. The two together do not compete. They team up. They wink at each other in an old-boy, "We got this" agreement and take over.
By contrast, when I had it with an icy Diet Coke, the Coke went on a search-and-destroy mission, and War Horse retreated from it in all directions.
Maybe that's true of other tobaccos, too. I'll try it some time.
I compared War Horse at first to Prince Albert, because that's what I had been smoking. More sophisticated smokers with more educated palates agreed there was some similarity in their structure. But War Horse is slightly heavier, darker. Moodier. PA is an old gardener you talk to as you survey how the patch is coming along; War Horse is the quiet brute with the wheelbarrow, unaffected by and uninterested in pointless chatter. Not so much brooding as... just serious. Not any more sophisticated than the rest of us in our blue jeans and boots, but not a bum. A trustworthy hand. You gave him a job to do and, by god, he's at it.
PA, an older, patient gentle codger, nods at bubbly youngster Diet Coke, who bounces in and makes a lot of commotion. But they coexist. Diet Coke isn't there to help, and PA is neither afraid of the kid nor going to teach it any lessons. You do your thing, I'll do mine. But War Horse grimaces in distain and moves off to work farther away, and you lose his company. You can't quite see what he's doing anymore.
Coffee comes ready to work. Coffee understands War Horse and nods to PA, an old collaborator. Coffee grabs the handles of the cultivator while War Horse tugs the weeds out of the beats. And together, they turn earth and ensure you a bountiful harvest.
Or... maybe there's too much whisky in my coffee again?
Let me know.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
What's whisky do? Which whisky. Some jump right in alongside; some tell salacious jokes and make broody men grin in spite of themselves. Both are welcome in my garden.
PS: Prince Albert has often been my lawn mowing smoke. So my analogy has ... roots.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Awesome!
I'm such a neophyte at this complex structure in your palate thing -- And you're exactly the guy who can say "You're delusional" or "I see what you mean." I trust you'll let me know. Thanks!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Obviously, you are delusional, or you wouldn't even be thinking about these things in the first place. But that's OK, all great artists are insane.
dadbandwandcolour.jpg

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Update --
Worried now that I might have gotten carried away in the initial post, i got a big cup of the house blend here at the motel. They make it how I like it: Nice brown bubbly foam as it fills the cup. Brewed nice and stout. Not an acidic coffee. Rich and smooth, no bite.
And as I mentioned in another thread, I was going to try War Horse in a cob.
I learned two things just now:
1. I do not prefer War Horse in this cob. I don't think I'll put it in a cob again. This cob hasn't lost its buttery flavor yet, and I thought that took away from this blend. Plus, the War Horse didn't behave quite the same from this narrow plastic stem anyway. I prefer it my Grabow and will go have another bowl in it. My Grabow lets it flood out from the bit, from a wider opening. This cob's bit makes too narrow a stream for it. My impression.
2. The combo did exactly as I remembered.
After I lit it and puffed a bit to get an even coal (doesn't need a charm light -- once lit, it's lit), here comes the payoff in a moment. Like a slow-motion wave, flavor spilled against the front of my tongue and, as if flowing around an obstruction, oozed under and alongside. If the smoker were a rain cloud, the flavor comes as precipitation squeezed gently from it as it's confronted by the tongue's elevation. Smoke up and over, flavor falling out... and flooding my mouth's gutters. (Probably, physically, it's just smoke-saturated spit pooling... but that's not as pleasant an image).
I followed with a sip of the strong coffee. It went up and over and washed back. The one had taken the front and gutters; the other washed down from the top. The two complemented each other and worked like a team for a complete palate experience.
Then I waited, and let them merge. They remained distinct but complementary.
The longer I smoked, the farther up and around my mouth the War Horse climbed until it was ... sort of like it encompassed the coffee, and where the coffee met it, they melded at the interface.
i like it!
I'm doubling my wager. I'm betting you'll know what I'm talking about when you have your coffee, but I'm hoping you articulate it better, as a competent blender and someone experienced in putting tobacco structure and layers in words that convey the experience to other pipers in words they can better comprehend what's going on.
Coffee and War Horse go together.
-- Okay. Let me find that Grabow. Out for another.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hey Pups, don't over rate me! War Horse is the creation of Russ Ouellette, not me. We discussed the blend, worked on revisions and tweaks together, but in the end, War Horse is his creation. I wish that I could say that it was mine, but I'll settle for just being one of the co-conspirators that brought it all together.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I kind a figured. Didn't know exactly what you two's association on this was, though. Thanks for the clarification.
I meant more your reputation for experimenting with blends, your knowledge of tobaccos. And the degree of study you give things.
Regardless of the coffee experiment... any idea how the plug will be compared to this sample? What does making it a plug do to it? Will Russ need to alter the blend to present War Horse as a plug?

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
davet... that's perfect!
Pretend the kid is coffee. He's about to become one with the pooling War Horse. Sploosh! (in slow motion).
-- Only coffee's mom isn't yelling. And once they meet, the kid and the bug-filled pool water, probably won't taste as good as coffee and War Horse, either.
Okay. I'm done. Y'all take over from here.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
any idea how the plug will be compared to this sample?

The plug will be heavier, smokier, richer, more nic.
What does making it a plug do to it?

The plug will be a different product. We will not be pressing the ready cut into a plug/crumble cake, although that is a very good idea, and possibly one that we can explore. On the whole, pressing "marries" flavors. It crushes the leaf, releasing oils and flavors. So it changes the tobacco, changes the burn characteristics, and changes the flavor profile.
Will Russ need to alter the blend to present War Horse as a plug?

The plug will be made with whole leaf (minus the midrib), so it will be made with entirely different tobacco altogether. The plug will be starting in a different place, and will end up somewhere else as well. In the end, though, there will be common bonds between the blends that will bring them together as part of the same family.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The idea of introducing a lighter blend than the plug was to get the War Horse name out in the public eye again, while coming up with a satisfying mixture that will have broad appeal. The plug will be a flat-out powerhouse, but we have to assemble the equipment to produce it.
Russ

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
12pups,
I've got a better start for your post:
Those of you who have a sample left mail it to robwoodall!
That is all...

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
LOL
I felt really bad reading this, Rob. And so I went to my last bit to package it for you. Pipesmagazine members are famous for their generosity, and so, being one, I naturally feel peer pressure to be as generous as these other folks in here.
But I'm old, see, and clumsy. The last few shreds accidentally fell up from my table and into my Sav Canadian, where several moments later they ignited after I rushed them outside my motel room. (Just in time, too -- close one).
Best laid plans, you know.
Dang it.
I'd at least send the dottle... but it hasn't been leaving much.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks again to Kevin, who posted the background and review links to Standard Tobacco Co. That little bit of reading has me saving up my money now. I'm going to want to try all those old blends.
I didn't get my sample because my opinion mattered a whole lot. It was more like emergency relief in a time of crisis: "Don't make the poor bastard smoke PA after PA. Throw the guy a bone."
But... I've read now the links to reviews and history Kevin put up. Those who have tasted all the blends Russ has been working to recover/emulate (well explained in the articles), they didn't score the War Horse that high.
--- Just makes me think, "If *I* liked it *this* much, can't wait to get my hands on the other stuff.
Money in fist ... waiting in line outside the doors ... don't want to be last when Dec. 1 comes round.

Status
Not open for further replies.