PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Hey y'all. I'm interested in knowing what you like to pair your smokes with. You can be specific about brands and blends if you want (C&D Pirate's Kake with Founder's Breakfast Stout) or less specific (Virginias with hot tea).
Doesn't have to be alcohol.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I like spiced rum with mostly aromatic blends. For those who like Latakia or a Smokey flavor try Ron Del Barallito (Puerto Rican) rum. Three stars on the label. It’s a very interesting smokey taste. Im not quite the conesseiuer. But I know a decent rum.

slowroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 25, 2017
In the morning, French roast coffee, afternoon, tea with a little Bushmills for flavor or tonic and bitters. After dinner, the rest of whatever wine we had, later, coffee and Cognac or Smokey Scotch. All with any tobac, which are mostly lat blends except for a daily ODF.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
First the obligatory mention of the exponential increase in smoking risk when paired with alcohol. Apparently killing off mouth biota with alcohol while smoking is the reason.
With that out of the way, in the evening I sometimes like Scotch or Irish whisky. I especially like Scotch from the Islay region with a bit of ice or splash of water as the peat seems to pair well with English in the pipe. Lagavulin for example. If it is a hot afternoon I like a cold pilsner with a pipe and any tobacco. In the morning and early afternoon a nice strong coffee from the press with a bit of cream goes very well with smoking any tobacco. When walking the dogs I'll often bring along a coffee and my pipe and let them run through the fields as I contemplate the beginning of the day.
On the other side I have found that wine and pipe smoking doesn't work for me.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Coffee is nice with sweet blends, virginias or va/pers. Tea of differing sorts work with any blend. With nicotine-heavy blends I like some alcohol, dark belgian ale, porter or maybe some cognac or whiskey. I'm not picky.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
My general rule of thumb is to match the body of the drink to the body of the smoke, but the flavors should contrast to enhance both the flavor of the tobacco and the beverage, Example: if you're smoking a heavy Latakia blend that's earthy, try pairing it with something like a ruby port. Both are full-bodied in flavor, and the sweetness of the port contrasts the dark smoky and earthy flavors of the tobacco.

That said, one of my favorite pairings with any kind of tobacco is some form of fire.
Russ

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't drink anything with alcohol when smoking a pipe. I prefer a good cigar with anything with alcohol. My usual is either sweetened black coffee or A&W Root Beer. The root beer goes great with any aromatic blend.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
In each issue of Pipes and Tobaccos, Bobby Fabin, who, with Tad Gage, reviews tobaccos, in the "Trial By Fire" column, ends his reviews by suggesting beverage pairings. I find his choices quite interesting and enlightening. Check it out.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
After dinner...cognac. My favorite is Camus VSOP. Reasonably priced (for cognacs).
Middle of the day...beer or wine, whatever strikes my fancy.
When I light a pipe, it is usually time for an alcoholic beverage. I don't smoke during work days, or when I have other activities going on.
I saw a stogiefarts youtube vid in which he was having a Bloody Mary with a pipe...I love Bloody Mary's, but I can't imagine drinking one with a pipe. To each his own.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I pair my Bourbon with whatever pipe tobacco blend I'm in the mood for at the time. Right now it's a mild Vanilla-Rum aromatic. Early morning smokes are often paired with a strong cup of English tea.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I saw a stogiefarts youtube vid in which he was having a Bloody Mary with a pipe...I love Bloody Mary's, but I can't imagine drinking one with a pipe. To each his own.
If I have a Bloody Mary I usually smoke a burley blend. You are right, To Each His Own.

Status
Not open for further replies.