PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2015
I've a couple of old, tired looking briars and it occurred to me they might look better painted black, or white... or whatever. Can briar bowls be painted or is this an absolute no-no?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
They can be re-stained, that will often freshen up the look of an old pipe. What exactly do you have?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Smoking paint fumes wouldn't be very tasty. You can use pipe stain to freshen up tired briar. Its probably just caked up and grungy. They can be shined without staining most of the time.
Checkout the pipe repair threads at the top of the main page. ^^

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My Chacom Samba 44 Bent Dublín is finished in black and is a stunning example of a black tie affair briar. In a word, elegant! We all love to admire the grain of a smooth or blasted briar, but that doesn't mean painted pipes are necessarily ugly. But whether you choose to finish your old pipe with a solid color or stain, the important thing is to use a product that will take the heat.
You may find this thread interesting:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipes-with-shellackedvarnished-finishes

Jan 31, 2015
Thanks everyone. I have a simple, unbranded briar that I picked up for very little at an auction. It was once a beautiful thing, and it smokes very well. It has come up a bit with polishing, but the main problem is that there is char at the top of the bowl which all the rubbing in the world won't remove...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would try cleaning first. A lot of times what you see is not char but smoking deposits. If that doesn't work, you could try toppong the bowl. I don't think I would ever resort to actually painting a pipe. Can you pst a pic?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Google rebornpipes.com and you'll find a great information site on simple things you can do to bring your pipe back to its full glory. My advice..... take so acetone (nail polish remover) and some cotton make-up pads, remove the remainder of the stain from the pipe, some light sanding on the rim to remove the char, and some fiebing leather stain (can be found at most shoe repairs) and restain the pipe yourself. The info from reborn pipes will easily walk you through the best and easiest ways to do it with a minimal fuss.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'd certainly stay clear of paint. However, many of the pipe makers on the Pipemakers forum site use shellac on their pipes and we're certainly not talking about cheap pipes! This idea that it will clog up the pores on a pipe and not allow it to breath is somewhat absurd. After all, carnauba wax, in essence, is doing the very same thing.

Aug 14, 2012
Do not use paint. It could ruin the taste. If you hate the finish sand it off by hand and leave it unfinished.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I'd use Krylon high temp paint found in car part stores.
Splatter type barbeque and patio table paint would give it a awesome rusticated look.
Just don't paint the inside of the bowl and it'll be fine.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a friend that does hydro dipping and I'm thinking of buying a cheap smooth briar pipe and having him dip it in camo for me. It would be a good cheap beater pipe to use when I am in the outdoors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 foggymountain. In sanding, you may uncover a fill or two, but I have several pipes that came unfinished, and smoking

them gives them a golden glow as appealing as any stain or new-pipe finish. One or two of these pipes look as if they have

a lovely light walnut stain, and it polishes up to a glow.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Refinishing a pipe shouldn't be all that hard. Remove the old finish with a good solvent, and then pick the finish of your choice. Lots of tutorials on the web.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Rob...hydro dipping is the process of floating a thin plastic like film on the surface of water and then dipping an object down thru that film into the water and the film wraps around and sticks to the object. That's a brief uncomplicated description but hopefully explains it enough. The best example I can come up with would be plastic shotgun and rifle stocks are treated this way to give them a camo finish.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Rob...hydro dipping is the process of floating a thin plastic like film on the surface of water and then dipping an object down thru that film into the water and the film wraps around and sticks to the object. That's a brief uncomplicated description but hopefully explains it enough. The best example I can come up with would be plastic shotgun and rifle stocks are treated this way to give them a camo finish.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I would go for the sanding and re-staining approach, but there is no accounting for taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.