PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
My sister sister and brother in law bought me 10 cobs for my birthday, I tried one last week and they smoke fine, however I would like to varnish a few - they are naked ! Obviously non flammable ! But is there a spcific brand ? I look forward to reading your comments.
Peace.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would leave them "as is" ... naked cobs smoke great.
However, if you must, use Shellac instead of Varnish as it is non-toxic.
Also ... pics or it didn't happen! :puffy:

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I know MM puts a plaster type glaze on theirs in order to give It that meerschaum type look, but I think you'd lose the cob feel if you changed it up. another thing to consider is due to how porous they are, it may take a lot to give it a look your happy with and potentially ruin the cob.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I painted a few of mine with hi-temp grill spray paint. I think they look pretty classy, especially as the amber stems darken with use. I was careful to keep the paint out of the chamber.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The porous cob contributes to the superior quality of smoke, in my opinion. The pipes will smooth out and develop a deeper color with use. You might try the paint or shellac scheme on just one. I think in the long run, you'll like the unfinished ones better. The other more useful way to jazz up cobs is with a upgraded acrylic stem. The outfit called Forever Stems used to do a good job of supplying these, but if they aren't back up in business, I think others sell replacement stems. You have to specify if it is a filter or non-filter MM cob; often you can have them cut to length (usually only shorter than some standard length). They come in an array of colors, from black and tortoise shell to orange with swirls, etc.

gentlesmoke

Lurker
Jun 22, 2016
Thanks for all your posts ! I appreciate each one, and if I do try I will keep it to just one.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm not too sure about the breatheability of cobs as my Mark Twain has been filled with plaster of Paris with a coat of varnish on top of that!
Why would they varnish the pipe if it is supposed to breathe?
Regards,
Jay.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I painted this cob back in the summer. I call it my Christmas Cob. Painted with craft paint from WalMart. Metallic Green with Blue Forever stem. I had several cobs and wanted to play. It was given to me presmoked with a charred rim, I smoothed it down and added the star pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.