PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
First Invicta Briars has a summer sale and I always wanted to try one. Then Peterson's Special Edition pipe tobacco arrives for 2013. Then there is a BEAUTIFUL Pipa Croci, unsmoked, on Ebay. Then Smokingpipes.com has a Peterson Wicklow estate in a classic shape I suddenly MUST have. And of course I have to buy some more tobacco to get it up to the free shipping amount.
My wife is going to kill me. Dead, over, done, finished.
You know why? Because she thinks I only bought one pipe, the Irish Seconds estate of Ebay that arrives tomorrow.
Dead.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Oh yeah, and the Brebbia Estate Pipe Diseguale Horn. Let's not forget that "steal" from Smokers Haven. I'm not sure that changes anything "death" wise, but it does ensure me an express pass straight to the Underworld.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Sounds like the beginning and end of a terrible joke :puffy: I'd be dead too! I'm choosing to live vicariously through your death and then acquire your estates for real cheap. Possibly in a box marked free at the end of your driveway :rofl:

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Easier to beg forgiveness than beg permission. ... I did something similar when I was in Sail at the beginning of fishing season. Bought 6 Rapala lures, 4 new Blue Fox spinners to replace ones lost last season. Then onto the soft plastics... I bought 12 different packs of Berkley Powerbait, several different types and weights of jig heads, several packs of snelled and regular hooks in different sizes. Then onto sinkers and a couple spools of new line. When I got home I got "the look" and the words "I hope that will last you a couple years cause your not doing that again next year." Women dont understand guy stuff just like we dont understand why they need so much damned beauty products.
Good luck, I hope you aren't in the dog house too long, but if you are you can enjoy your new pipes and tobacco in peace and quiet ;) lol!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've found, through trial and error, that its best to keep separate bank accounts. After the joint essentials are paid at the end of every month, and this includes mortgage, food, gas, and 401Ks, then what's left over is no one's business save the sole party holding the account. Otherwise each is asking the other for perpetual favors, and soon a running tally develops, with all the resultant ill feelings. Just because you're married doesn't mean you can't control at least some of your money. This works best when both parties are working, but can also work when only one spouse is the bread winner, provided a modicum of charity.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I feel you, brother. I just had Marty Pulver put 2 Dunhills and a L'Anatra aside for me. Have to make sure I have enough for the power bill then I am pulling the trigger. Lol

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Kashmir's advice works well for me and has for years. Another method is to accumulate so many pipes that after a while your spouse won't be able to tell if there's a new addition added to your racks!!! LOL

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another method is to accumulate so many pipes that after a while your spouse won't be able to tell if there's a new addition added to your racks!!! LOL
Shhh, my strategy is working perfectly! I clean up pipes for forum members occasionally, when boxes show up, is it my pipe or someone elses? Who knows??

I do keep my PAD money in my Paypal account, if it's dry, I don't buy.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Kashmir nailed it. My wife and I have always kept our own accounts and it works great. We split the mortgage and the bills, other than that we earn our own money and it's not the other ones business what we spend it on.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
OK...so my wife knows about the 50 pieces of briar arriving this week from Italy...But I did forget the mention the shipment for ebonite sheet and black bamboo, the shipment for stainless tubing, the shipment for long-length tapered drills, the shipment for the custom tooled lathe chuck, and the shipment for specialized hand-cut files...

I think they're all hitting at the same time today- I may suggest she needs to go shopping for a few hours this afternoon...

Aug 14, 2012
As usual, Kashmir has it figured out. Separate bank accounts and each is responsible for their own finances. It's not really her business how many pipes or cans of tobacco I have. If she asks I tell her. But there is no such thing as our money. There is my money and her money. My wife is a bit of an entrepreneur. She has two full time jobs and collects houses, to live in and as an investment. She plays the real estate market. I don't give her a hard time about having a house and a condo. Why would I care? She notices a lot of pipes. She asks how many, I tell her 140. She asks what they cost, I give her a realistic number, so she won't discard them when I am gone (she is 30 years younger). She says I am crazy, but she knew that already. Then she goes back to scheming how we are going to get a house in Woodstock. Works for us. If you have problems, get her a job so she can be independent.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Another method is to accumulate so many pipes that after a while your spouse won't be able to tell if there's a new addition added to your racks!!!
Brilliant.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
There's only been one bank account for us in 43 years. As long as everythings paid, there's gas in the cars, and food in the fridge, no one cares where the money goes.
This week I received in the mail my P-lip Forever Stem, Summertime Peterson's tobacco, and a new bowl for my Falcon - my wife had ordered all of it to surprise me. Last week, she got 2 pairs of shoes.
I have to admit Den might not be as excited about your PAD, but she loves free shipping . . . sometimes you have to live dangerously.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Another method is to accumulate so many pipes that after a while your spouse won't be able to tell if there's a new addition added to your racks!!! LOL
Excellent idea! My wife has a similar technique with her clothes. Also, she'll buy a new dress or whatever, and immediately hang it in her closet only to take it out a few months later. When I ask, "is that new? she can honestly say, "no, I've had it for a while now".
I think the same could be done with my next PAD fulfillment.

hambone

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
I do the multiple accounts, a PO Box she doesn't know about and the method of just adding the new pipe to the existing pipe rack. She still knows, sneaking a new churchwarden is a bit harder to do. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.