PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Well Ive been smoking only about a year or coming up there abouts and I always wanted to duplicate

the Padron 64 anniversary cigar in my pipe. Thick buttery smoke and spice.

Answer: Dunhill 965
I found it in 965 so Ill put my vote in for a very nice smoke that I had been missing

since leaving cigars largely behind..Happyness in a tin for those smokebomb experiences and

I don't have to have all those sticks in the Humi..

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Interesting, this is the "My Mixture 965" that you are referring to? I am moving away from cigars that I have smoked for 9 years, price being the main reason and the 1964 is a favorite. Got a tin of this so I will now have to give it a try.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Yes, MM965 is wonderful stuff, tons of buttery creamy yellow smoke..when you push it a little..and good spice kick from just the right Lat.

Enjoy!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Dude, you're setting up some big expectations. I'd pick a Padron 64 over an Opus X almost every time. I'm tempted to order based on your take. Did you smoke from a tin or from bulk?
Anyone else give this blend similar cred?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Dude, you're setting up some big expectations. I'd pick a Padron 64 over an Opus X almost every time. Did you smoke from a tin or from bulk?
Anyone else give this blend similar cred?
I called Dan Boswell and ordered 4oz bulk.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The other day, I actually put some bits of a Padron 1964 in my pipe, along with some VAs. It was wonderful.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Hey Brass, it was a fresh tin with some age on it. Fairly dried ready to smoke.

Ill say that its close but a touch different with the Latakia which is not dominant enough

to take over the blend.

Very close and in the same camp , almost the same campfire..IMO

Id be interested in your impressions when you get around to it.

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation, 965 has been on my list of tobaccos I want to try but now bumped up to the top of the list.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Just an FYI ... if you like cigars and you like Latakia, try the AJ Fernandez "Spectre".
It's a nice Nicaraguan cigar with Latakia blended in.
The Latakia starts strong and then melds into the flavors.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Are you referring to the natural or maduro '64? The maduro '64 exclusivo is one of my absolute favorite cigars, hands down. I have a tin of opened 965 that has just been sitting in my cellar for about a year after i smoked a few bowls and didn't get any "wow" factor whatsoever. That being said, i shall revisit that tin sooner than later and see if anything has (hopefully) changed.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
MM965 was described as the "best tobacco he's ever smoked" by one of our club members who has been smoking for 40 years. I concur, my top blend after trying around 100 different blends in the last 2 years. The campfire thing is what I love most about it! As I sit here and decide what to bring with me for Canadian Thanksgiving up north this weekend that will go in the satchel. Something about 965 and 3 degree celcius weather around a campfire at night sounds so appealing right now!

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Are you referring to the natural or maduro '64
Hi Guys thanks for the comments.

The natural 64 is what I was referring to.

Now I will say that I used to smoke the Principe sizes the most although I had

a few of the larger torpedoes from time to time..

My next target acquisition ...tobacco for this realm of taste would be Chelsea Morning

because it has a little perique spice to add but Im not sure it would hit the same creaminess

level which is important as compared to the Padron. The 965 has that bit of Cavendish and Turkish to

bring down the Lat side and support the finish on smoke..

Just my amateur meanderings..
Regards!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
The natural 64 is what I was referring to.
Ahhh ok cool, thanks for clarifying mainman. Try 10 russians when you get a chance. Hiplainsdrifter and I traded some baccy and that was one of them. I tried it last night and it is wonderful and more comparable to a maduro cigar. I don't know about a '64, but it is a great blend that is a latakia monster while being incredibly smooth and still offering the nic hit that a maduro cigar would.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Ok, smoked a couple of ounces, and a Padron Anniversary it ain't. Not even close. Barely in the same Solar System.
But it is a solid smoke, could be an everyday smoke. I might cellar a couple of ounces and see how it matures.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Padron 1964 maddy is one of my top 3 sticks, MM965 was my first English and still just about my favorite. You've got good taste, brother! :)

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
@grouchydog. I agree with you 100 percent they are no where close to the same flavor or profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.