PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
There was recently a discussion over which were better pipes, Kaywoodie or Dr Grabow. Well, I wanted to form my own opinion, but I have never owned a pipe by either maker... until now. I acquired a Dr Grabow Riviera from a fellow forum member, then, today, I picked up a Kaywoodie Standard Rhodesian and a GBD Prince from a local B&M. I haven't smoked the Kaywoodie yet, but after smoking the Grabow, I'd say the KW will be hard pressed to out do it. That Grabow smokes great! I've been wanting to buy some of these older classics for a while now. I'm glad I pulled the trigger. My wife also brought home an old Danmore pipe she found at an antique store. I think I will make it my fist restoration attempt. Wish me luck!
Dr Grabow Riviera:

LjpbrKm.jpg

2XTL3cq.jpg

Gqf7uA2.jpg

Kaywoodie Standard:

Aj7E0oV.jpg

mZBURtI.jpg

GBD:

mnRQ4vR.jpg

G7w9Rmf.jpg

cVwxIP6.jpg

Danmore:

H2BAk7W.jpg

v5WD5Vf.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Love that Grabow. The Zulu is a shape Grabow is still making; I have one I bought from WV Smoke Shop. Great smoker, and the only issue I have with it is that the stem is slightly thicker at the button end than I prefer.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Nice selection, the Grabow and GBD I dig most.
"Love that Grabow. The Zulu is a shape Grabow is still making...the only issue I have with it is that the stem is slightly thicker at the button end than I prefer. "
Partial to Grabow and the Zulu is one of my favorites from them too. Pipes with an ABS plastic stem, like the Riviera above, will have a thicker bite but older models with Vulcanite have wonderfully clenchable buttons.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Nice finds ! Congratulations
(You reminded me that I need to add a Prince to my modest collection.)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Nice finds! I have a number of Kaywoodies, but not that many Grabows, which is odd since my first pipe was a Grabow. I like the way they smoke. You will enjoy them!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
(but stop badmouthing the Kaywoodie before even trying it)
Okay Crash, I finally fired up the Kawoodie with Luxury Twist Flake. 1st smoke not as great as the Grabow. Looks like I will have to start searching for a blend she likes. Gonna' try a ribbon cut blend in her next. The GBD smokes like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.