PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetpiper

Lurker
Apr 18, 2013
I've had my pipe about a week now and I'm trying to perfect my pipe packing. I've watch vids on the 3 and 2 pack method and a gravity light pack method. I've tried all of these and I'm still having problems keeping it lit and getting a good thick smoke from my draws. When I dump my bowl 70% of the baccy is done, i also have to keep lighting and I must admit I'm getting a bit discouraged.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
My best luck so far also as a new pipe enthusiast has been with the 1/3 hand of a child, 1/3 hand of a woman, 1/3 hand of a man packing method. My best so far was an hour or so smoke with only two re-lights. Using a czech tool has also helped by tampering and even mixing a little before a re-light.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
All it takes is time and practice... After a while I sort of delevoped an intuition about how to go about it; there are really a lot of factors if you break it down. 70% is a lot better than I was doing after a week. Hang in there. There's no real reason to be upset; the whole point is to chill so don't get upset just spark it and continue the enjoyment where you left off.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
The universal guides on how to pack your pipe are a generic suggestion. With time, you will learn how to pack your pipe with your tobacco after practice and more practice. For me, each tobacco, and each pipe has a different pack routine, and it took a good month of constant smoking to understand how to properly pack and smoke. All I can suggest is that you pick a tobacco that you like (and not too expensive to begin with), and experiment and learn as you go. Patience is the key, and you will be packing like a pro in no time.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
The universal guides on how to pack your pipe are a generic suggestion. With time, you will learn how to pack your pipe with your tobacco after practice and more practice. For me, each tobacco, and each pipe has a different pack routine, and it took a good month of constant smoking to understand how to properly pack and smoke.
+1 pretty much word for word what i was going to say

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Hi and welcome to the forum!
As mentioned above, pipe smoking is unlike cigarettes and cigars. There is certainly more 'skill' involved, but it is an enjoyable journey.
Bear in mind that there is no 'contest' on how many times one should relight. I find that depending on the tobacco blend, how I pack it, where I'm located (in the car, in my home, on the street) everything will present a variable in the amount of times re-lighting is needed.
Some days I can run almost a whole bowl, but way more often I'm relighting quite frequently. I just don't care. Whatever it takes, just do it! The methods you finally choose will be good for you.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Don't be concerned with a little dottle at the end of your smoke. If you are smoking 70% of the baccy you are doing good for a newb. I have been smoking for years and still get some from some of my pipes. Also consider if the cake hasn't built up enough you may have dottle also.
I might also suggest some dry time on the baccy before you pack it. I like mine almost crunchy and rarely have dottle.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Hey man, you're a lot like myself, or how I was. I've been smoking very occasionally for a few years, and more regularly the last year. I have always sucked at packing a good bowl and finally the past several bowls have been a better success for me. I finally scrapped all the 'methods' and just started simply filling my bowl and packing as I go, following no pattern or method. I started packing harder than I ever have and its smoking better for me. I've had a number of bowls where i've only relit 3 times or something.
I also started a thread on my frustrations with not packing right and having to relight 15 times a bowl, but you've been at this a week (judging by your post) and I started my frustration thread after a year of more regular pipe smoking, you can imagine my frustrations after that long. Some people here told me some valuable things, like how I was basically defeating the purpose of pipe smoking by getting frustrated. I finally started relaxing a bit more, and I started using a zippo style lighter, which I found a lot more enjoyable relighting than a match.
So I wouldn't get too upset man, you've been at this barely a week, it took me years and I'm still not a pro, but the thing is I don't have to be, I get more enjoyment out of smoking now than ever. Give yourself some time, you'll get it. Some people say pack it so that the draw is almost like sucking through a straw, I find that works pretty good.
I have never had a single light bowl or even a double light, and I don't care much anymore. It will come man.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Cube cut gravity fill, it will be your best friend if you have flakes. I find packing on the side of loose is always better than too tight, but the 3 step method mentioned above is what I followed in the beginning. Also just doing layer after layer is good, and keep checking it by drawing on the stem to check, you want about the resistance of sipping a drink through a straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.