PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

msutton

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Memphis, TN
I've developed a tradition of trying to buy a new pipe whenever my wife and I travel. We recently went to New Orleans, and there was a B&M a few blocks from where we were staying on Magazine Street. But, the selection was scarce and consisted mainly of Petersons and an off-brand I had not heard of. I purchased a Peterson. After about 3 minutes of smoking it, it tasted very salty. I looked and the stem had basically turned green.
The owner of the shop agreed to give me store credit on a different pipe or he would take it home, buff it, and return it to me the next day. I walked out feeling like I had just made a $100+ mistake. When I got home, I cleaned the stem with Oxyclean and a Magic Eraser, and buffed with Tripoli and a clean buffing pad. It's fine now. But, I felt like I shouldn't have had to do that with a new pipe. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
OH yes! I have found if they are sitting out on display (heat,sun,and smoke) make them turn like that. I have gotten in the habit of giving them a quick clean before useing if they were on display.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
+1 drwatson
Without knowing the model year it's often hard to pin down the age of a "new" pipe from a B&M. Sorry 'bout your experience.
-- Pat

msutton

Lurker
Jun 6, 2013
Memphis, TN
Thanks, Roth. I assume this place doesn't sell many pipes. It was 99% focused on cigars with two closed display cases of pipes. Each had fluorescent lights at the top. So, the heat, light and New Orleans humidity probably contributed to it. All of the stems seems a little faded, especially the ones on the top shelf near the lights.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I had the same thing happen with a Butz-Choquin. At the time it was the most I had ever spent on a pipe! With a little TLC that pipe was more than just ok, it was awesome! I still remember the salty taste and my shock at the color change.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I've had the same thing happen on a Nording and two Petersons. But I know for a fact that they had been sitting for over a year in the displays. No big deal, IMHO.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Frankly I'd rather clean them myself than have the store do it. This is how I lost the logo on one of my more expensive Savinellis. :(
(How do you get the logo back? Carefully apply white paint?)

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Don't forget, the pipe might be new to you, but how long has it say in the store/warehouse before coming to your hands. I've seen pipes that were in a store front for about 3yr and the brass pins (Brigham) were so corroated they were green and the stems were so yellow/green with oxidization it would rub off on my fingers.
I suggest trying some Brebbia stem polish and a soft cloth. I use it twice a month on my stems and they stay looking like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.