PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
I have one stem that I thought I buffed and scrubbed enough, but the oxidation appears to be coming back...
I use 3M rubbing compound, then 3M polishing compound, then a good carnuba wax to bring up the shine...
Should I be beginning with perhaps a 600/1000/1500/2000 grit sandpaper routine, then go into the compounds? instead of just using the rubbing/polishing/wax routine?
any thoughts as to what works best for y'all?
thanks!

Mike B

theediabeticman

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2014
I am NOT a professional - please don't use 600 grit...on my pipes I use a solution and 2400 grit and lowest I go is 1500

but let's wait to see what we can learn from a professional :)

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
You probably didn't get it all the first time. I use Soft Scrub with Magic Erasers and water to take off the oxidation. No material loss and no scratching. It makes buffing to a shine go much, much faster. Depending on the material and severity of oxidation it may take some work. When it looks black, check your work in sunlight. It will show what you missed.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
hehe, sorry I just threw some grits out there 600 probably would be too course for the stems :)
So the rubbing compound / polishing compound / carnuba wax method should get all the oxidation off? I use a dremel with a set of buffing / polishing pads on it... I'm used to using the dremel for other polishing items and have used it for decades, so I'm quite comfortable using it.

Just kinda new to restoring / deep cleaning pipes... could have sworn I got it all, I use a couple different lights for my bench, one is a natural light florescent... I guess the oxidation is "deeper" than I originally thought...

I get these stems pretty shiny and looking new when I'm done.... I'll have to re-do this stem and see what comes out of it... as long as you fine folks feel my method is sound with the rubbing/polishing/wax... I'll continue on :)
a happy day is a day where I learn something :)
thanks all!

Mike B

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Another consideration may be the sulpher content of a pipe stem might be higher, or lower than another. Oxidization is always going to occur on vulcanite stems. Oxidize. If you're vulcanite, its what you do.
Mike S.

exibar

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
it re-occured pretty quickly.... 3 bowls and it came back LOL
is my method I mentioned above correct? maybe I just need more elbow grease in the mix...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I do a soak in oxyclean and water, then hit the stem with either 0000 steel wool or a magic eraser, and then work up from 1000 grit micromesh to 25000. Last step is a wheel with carnauba.
Oxidation will return.
Keep your pipe in a light tight environment to avoid oxidation from sunlight.
-- Pat

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
There are stems that have such a high content of sulphur that it always comes back. I had such a stem and I couldn´t get it back to it´s "black" condition no matter what I tried. :roll:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Let me at that oxidation!"
th

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I use a tiny bit of chapstick on all of my stems an really don't have a problem. Learned that trick many years ago from some old hard core smokers. It really does work. But you have to start with a clean stem.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
+1 Drwatson.
I can hear guys warming up on this one already:O) I use softy bits on all mine for my teeth anyway, so for me it is not an issue to go to acrylic stems.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
You should try Dave Walker's Stem restore kit. It works wonders on all but the deepest oxidation without having to use sandpaper.
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/stem_restore_kit.html

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Going to acrylic stems...ugh! If you wver cleaned an estate acrylic stem your opinion might differ. Because the acrylic/lucite melts at a lower temperature, the material seems to soften up when smoked and the tars will really gum up in the stem. No acrylic for me thx. I'll stick to my vulcanite/cumberland or horn.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Thanks Okie, I also use the softy bite tips (but cut off the thick end). As they wear our I have been converting over to clear tubing which also works great.
Sam, that's interesting! I have always thought the Lucite ones were a lot better to clean. Maybe I haven't got one that was that nasty yet. Most of the ones I have received are pretty clean to start off with.

Status
Not open for further replies.